Lenovo BIOS lock, unable to run Windows OS

Martin Du Plooy

May 27, 2018
New Zealand
Hi

I have a new Lenovo server (ThinkSystem SR630) and installed Proxmox without any issues. Running my first VM (Windows 2016) I get an error "please check with your computer manufacturer to resolve any issues you are having with this computer. These tools are for use only on x86 server hardware manufactured by Lenovo. Since this system is not recognized as a valid system, the installation can not continue. Please click OK to shutdown"
I have been in contact with Lenovo support and they explained I get this error because the OEM OS I am installing is looking for the IBM bios (serial number or something) to validate it's an OEM server and this can validate the OS key and continue installation. Hyper-V and VMware both have patches to access hardware BIOS to do this validate from the VM BIOS.
Example of VMWare fix
Option A:
1. After creating the virtual machine, go to "Edit Settings" --> select the "Options" tab --> select the "General" item and then click the "Configuration Parameters" button.
2. Add a row, paste "SMBIOS.reflectHost" as the name, and "TRUE" as the value.
Please note that the virtual machine must be shut down to let this change take effect.
Option B:
Add "SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE" within the .vmx file of the VM.

In Proxmox If you go to the VM --> Options --> BIOS you do get an option on what BIOS to use.

Could anybody help with a solution on this? I do not want to buy my subscription and then findout Proxmox doesn't have a solution for this?

Regards,
Martin

I found the solution, it's already in Proxmox and obvious if you know about it. :)

On your VM goto "Options", Make sure your default bios is "SeaBIOS", then goto "SMBIOS Settings". Here you'll be able to enter all your Manufacture information for the OEM OS to work correctly.

Attachments

• Proxmox_BIOS_Settings.PNG
    Proxmox_BIOS_Settings.PNG
    8.4 KB · Views: 193
Did you try this with OVMF; UEFI BIOS?
I created a dump of my ACPI table and pass the SLIC table through args passing my OEM SLIC/serial. I haven't tried the PVE option you posted above.

Code:
args: -acpitable file=/path/to/slic.bin

This works great for activating my license. I'll have to try a test case with the BIOS options in PVE to see if I can achieve the same results in OVMF because I prefer GPT partitions/UEFI BIOS for passthrough and other reasons.

I found the solution, it's already in Proxmox and obvious if you know about it. :)

On your VM goto "Options", Make sure your default bios is "SeaBIOS", then goto "SMBIOS Settings". Here you'll be able to enter all your Manufacture information for the OEM OS to work correctly.

Is this working?
Thank you

[QUOTE = "Veranio79, publicación: 222962, miembro: 61346"]
¿Esto funciona?
Gracias
[/CITAR]

Me Funcionó Perfecto !! gracias

cambiando el bios a SMBIOS y editando poner en fabricante Lenovo, los demas campos dejar todo igual

funciona !!

HI,
i have a Lenovo ST50 v2 SERVER
i hav insert UUID , SERIAL and MANUFACTURED but not resolve ..... help me .... thnaks thanks thanks

this is my server bios information
20240313_103607.jpg20240313_103551.jpg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!