ZFS directory empty after reboot

Republicus

Aug 7, 2017
I created a directory on my ZFS pool and added that directory as storage on the datacenter for disk images and container templates. Everything was working fine until I rebooted... Now, all of the ISO images and LXC templates are missing from those directories.

The pool reports healthy and online. My VM and LXC guest disks are present in the pool. (While I can start VMs my containers have also developed the problem reported here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-crashing-starting-lxc-container-5-1.38913/ where containers will not start at all)

I have no idea where my data went, if its recoverable, or where to go from here.

Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

# zfs get mountpoint
# zfs get mounted
Thanks. That does list my raw disk images as well as the tank. All mountpoints are listed.

I created a couple directories in the root of the tank. mkdir.

Those folders are empty now after a reboot.

I assume it has to do with not creating it as a dataset...

I believe I can recover my files in those directories from external storage and I plan to create datasets... Though, is this normal zfs behavior?

Those directories and their contents worked fine before reboot.

The tank is online and all other content is present.

Well, three lxc containers that were running their raw disk images had become corrupted. Becoming less thank 1k in size. I restored them from backup. But all VMs and all lxc containers that were not running prior to reboot were also not injured.

Something caused my running containers and directories to become damaged and I'm not sure what caused it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!