PVE Crashing Starting LXC Container (5.1)

Proxmox admins posted on the another thread that they are in testing, but won't release it until they consider it stable. I don't know what is required to occur. You could ask there, but it sounded like they have a "it'll be ready when it's ready" perspective - which is fair, they don't want to introduce a regression to fix one issue.

I'm biding my time, as the rest of the system is stable. I just can't spin up a container when I'd like to, but so long as I don't touch it, it runs normally. Next time I have to create containers, I'll just create them and reboot the host before I start them.

Proxmox admins posted on the another thread that they are in testing, but won't release it until they consider it stable. I don't know what is required to occur. You could ask there, but it sounded like they have a "it'll be ready when it's ready" perspective - which is fair, they don't want to introduce a regression to fix one issue.

I'm biding my time, as the rest of the system is stable. I just can't spin up a container when I'd like to, but so long as I don't touch it, it runs normally. Next time I have to create containers, I'll just create them and reboot the host before I start them.

you can already opt-in to testing the 4.15 kernels ('apt install pve-kernel-4.15' should work with all repositories). keep in mind though that it is not yet the default and still in a preview state - while it does reportedly fix the container namespace race conditions some users are experiencing on 4.13, it might introduce other new bugs.

@fabian - thanks for your update! I guess I missed where the kernel was available in stable, just not as default. I think taking the time to test is prudent prior to moving it to default in stable.

In that case, I'll probably test 4.15 kernel the next time I reboot the machine. Is there any specific process for bug logging for non-default kernels?

@fabian - thanks for your update! I guess I missed where the kernel was available in stable, just not as default. I think taking the time to test is prudent prior to moving it to default in stable.

In that case, I'll probably test 4.15 kernel the next time I reboot the machine. Is there any specific process for bug logging for non-default kernels?

just the usual - if you experience problems please provide as much details possible when reporting:
  • pveversion -v
  • involved configuration (network, guest, storage, ...)
  • any error messages
  • any logs around the time the issue occured

I did not have this problem on 5.1 but after upgrading to 5.2 and a couple reboots later none of my containers will boot. I'll return with more details, I've left my system offline until I could get here to investigate

Edit/Correction: something else is going on. I'll create a separate thread to address my problems.

Last edited:
I'm seeing same symptoms with VPN running in a VM using Ubuntu 19.10 Desktop. Causes node to go offline and then reboot. proxmox-ve: 6.1-2 (running kernel: 5.3.13-1-pve)

@James Pass if you are using a VM on PVE 6.x, it is highly unlikely that you are seeing the same issue. please open a new thread and provide as much information as possible about your setup and the error.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!