Unable to activate storage ... directory does not exist (500)

yoss.jackson

May 31, 2016
I have 3 standalone proxmox servers (not a cluster) and a NAS Seagate 4 bay for VMs and CT backups.
Added a NFS storage from NAS server (in 2 servers) and everything was working ok until I upgraded the firmware of the NAS Server 4 days ago. This two servers stop connecting to NFS storage showing "unable to activate storage 'NFS_NAS_03bk' - directory '/mnt/pve/NFS_NAS_03bk' does not exist (500)".
I removed the NFS storage and added again, no luck.
I added the NFS storage in the 3rd server and work OK, the problem is with the servers that already have the NFS storage added when upgraded the NAS Firmware.

I thought maybe proxmox store some information about storages that changed when upgraded the NAS firmware, any help ?

PD:Sorry about my english, not my native languaje.

This page should help:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

Config info stored here (make sure to backup this file before changing anything)
/etc/pve/storage.cfg

You can also try shutting down everything, boot NAS/NFS server first and wait 15 minutes to settle down, verify you can access the NAS/NFS server admin page, and double check the NAS/NFS server DNS & network settings.

Then fire up the Proxmox servers one at a time, and verify NFS mount is active/working

Just an idea, do you know if the NAS/NFS server IP address changed after you rebooted it?

Try checking on an affected Proxmox server:

#cat /etc/hosts

See if the NAS has a DNS entry and Proxmox can find/resolve the NAS.

Reactions: bobmc
what does
Code:
showmount <ip address of NAS server>
show?

what does
Code:
nfslookup <hostname of NAS server>
show?

Reactions: GadgetPig
This page should help:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

Config info stored here (make sure to backup this file before changing anything)
/etc/pve/storage.cfg

You can also try shutting down everything, boot NAS/NFS server first and wait 15 minutes to settle down, verify you can access the NAS/NFS server admin page, and double check the NAS/NFS server DNS & network settings.

Then fire up the Proxmox servers one at a time, and verify NFS mount is active/working

Just an idea, do you know if the NAS/NFS server IP address changed after you rebooted it?

Try checking on an affected Proxmox server:

#cat /etc/hosts

See if the NAS has a DNS entry and Proxmox can find/resolve the NAS.

NAS/NFS server network DNS configuration point to old DNS servers no longer working -> updated DNS servers and reboot NAS/NFS server.
Back to proxmox removed and added again the NFS storage, no luck. (note that proxmox shows the exported resources in NFS server even when latter does not connect to them).
Reboot proxmox server as you suggested, everything works now ! thanks !

That's great news! Glad it worked out. BTW now is a great time to review your backup strategy. Backup data within the VM and also backup the VM. have great day! :)

That's great news! Glad it worked out. BTW now is a great time to review your backup strategy. Backup data within the VM and also backup the VM. have great day! :)
Yep ! That's what I do, backup data within the VM (mirror and/or differential) to an external storage device and also backup the VM to NAS/NFS Server ;-) Thanks a lot.

I had the same problem when I changed NAS, a restart fixed everything as usual.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!