proxmox ve best network configuration

juniper

Oct 21, 2013
Hi,

is it possibile to propagate a switch trunk on a proxmox bridge to distribute vlan directly on VM and container?
for example:

switch------trunk of vlan 2,3,10,15------proxmox bridge br1-----VM on vlan3/VM on vlan10/VM on vlan15

i have to use openVswitch?

Some examples?

Or i have to bridge vlan interface on proxmox host?

thanks in advance

Yes, it's possible. Eg. your trunk is connected to eth1, you add eth1 to a bridge (eg. vmbr1) and set the bridge on your VM to vmbr1 for your VM trunk interface (eth0 or whatever). I've done this for several virtual routers.

Thank you for reply,

i mean Virtual machines have each a different VLAN from trunk

for example trunk go to eth0---- etho part of vmbr1

first vm with interface on vmbr0 vlan 2
second vm with interface on vmbr0 vlan 10

and so on

is it possible?

Yes, of course. But you need to take care of setting up the proper VLAN on your interfaces in each VM/CT (you can set it on the web GUI, too, IIRC).

I thought OP's idea was not to use separate bridges per VLAN if possible, but I might have misunderstood him. Certainly that's the other common solution besides OVS.

I thought OP's idea was not to use separate bridges per VLAN if possible, but I might have misunderstood him. Certainly that's the other common solution besides OVS.
You are correct. I misread his question. You correctly answered it. Sorry :)

It does sound like simply setting the vlan option on a VM's network interface does what you want. Whether or not there will be separate bridges for each vlan tag depends on whether you configured your bridge to be vlan aware. If you want all traffic to go over a single bridge, check the 'vlan aware' checkbox in the bridge's network configuration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!