Pihole + LXC Problem

MisterY

Oct 10, 2016
Hi, I'm running Proxmox and made a LXC and installed Pi-Hole in it. It is running fine, but I can't use it as a DNS-Server. Every other machine like Windows 8 says "dns not reachable" when I set it in the IPv4 settings manually. I set every firewall policy to accept on this LXC and I even disabled it, but nothing. I get all the time "dig google.de @192.168.0.150 ; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u13-Debian <<>> google.de @192.168.0.150 ;; global options: +cmd ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

running it on 127.0.0.1 on the LXC itself, it works like a charm. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?

I got only one NIC, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Pihole2.PNG Pihole3.PNG pihole4.PNG

does it work if you use the ip address inside the container (so not 127.0.0.1) ?
if not, maybe it is configured to only listen on localhost?

it doesn't work with the ip within the container. It is configured to listen on everything. I personally know one of the pihole team and he told me that it doesn't seem to be a problem with pihole, instead it has to be a problem with firewall and/or apparmor.

update: within a VM it works like a charm.

edit: wrong. I changed the dns of my router to the VM and I can't access anything...

Last edited:
Just tried installing pihole on an LXC here and hit the same blocker. Apparently, port 53 is already bound in the LXC:
Code:
May 11 17:09:11 pi-hole systemd[1]: Starting dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
May 11 17:09:11 pi-hole dnsmasq[88]: dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
May 11 17:09:12 pi-hole dnsmasq[113]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use
May 11 17:09:12 pi-hole dnsmasq[113]: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use
May 11 17:09:12 pi-hole systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=2
May 11 17:09:12 pi-hole dnsmasq[113]: FAILED to start up
May 11 17:09:12 pi-hole systemd[1]: dnsmasq.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
I never had a problem running BIND in an OpenVZ container, but I think this is the first time I've tried running a resolver in an LXC.

Found some threads about dnsmasq-base being installed ahead of dnsmasq and creating this sort of conflict, from which came a helpful lsof query, which seems to indicate that systemd-resolve is shimming something:
Code:
root@pi-hole:~# lsof -Pn +M | grep ':53 (LISTEN)'
systemd-r  74     systemd-resolve   13u     IPv4            5632374      0t0        TCP 127.0.0.53:53 (LISTEN)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!