USB and Win Server 2016 VM

ProNatur

Feb 5, 2016
Hi,

I try to installing a Win Server 2016 on Proxmox 4.4-13 (HP ProLiant ML350 G9) which works perfect as usual.

Now I try to connect a external USB3 HD to the system and get problems. I passing through the complete USB port with the entry

usb0: host=5-5,usb3=yes

in VM config to the guest. The drivers are installed inside of Windows VM. But if I connect the HD to the server, Windows VM is getting slow and I get many error 153 event messages. I even couldn't see the directory of the HD, because it is so slow.

What I tried up to now:
1. Added an extra USB3 PCIe card to the server -> Same result (errors)
2. Tested it with two different HDs -> Same result (errors)
3. Used USB2 port instead of USB3 port -> No problem, directory could be read
4. Used USB3 port without usb3=yes parameter in config file -> HD isn't recognised in VM
5. Used 1058:259f instead of port for host -> Same result (errors)
5. Mount the HD in Proxmox and try to access it -> No problem, directory could be read
6. Used an USB stick instead of the HD -> No problem to access the USB stick from Windows VM

I thought, that it could be a power problem, but than the HD wouldn't work on Proxmox.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Dirk

I would try to pass the usb3 HD to a VM with a different OS so you knows if the problem is virtualization related, or Windows related.
Any current Linux Distributions should do, even a live CD.
After booting the Linux Distro, start a Shell and type:
lsblk
it should give a list of connected devices and partitions

Thank you for your fast reply.

I tested it with a Linux LiveCD (Knoppix 7.2). There USB3 port works. So I assume, that the problem is Win Server 2016 related :(. But I don't know where to search. I will reinstall all.

No, that wasn't the solution. Formated the disk and reinstalled Win Server 2016. After the first login plugged USB3 hd into USB3 port and server hangs. Get again error 153 in the event log.

So it seems a problem with Windows Server 2016 and the USB3 implementation.

Any further suggestions?

I'm having the same problem on windows 2012 r2, the usb3 gets very slow.
I use an external hd to make a backup, but it copies fast and then stops copying. Can someone help me?

I had the same problem with Windows 2016 and USB3. The solution was to install some Renesas USB3 drivers and forcing Windows to use them instead of it's own drivers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!