PVE volume not found, zfs does not mount after reboot

pcmofo

Feb 12, 2016
Running 4.4 (upgrading soon) and have a few ZFS pools in the box. One contains the VMs and storage. Rebooted for the first time in 6 months and saw the error that "Volume Group 'PVE' not found" and it dumped me into a BusyBox shell.

I rebooted a few times and eventually proxmox booted but web UI does not work and no ZFS pools are mounted. Did some searching and tried a few solutions, no luck with any of them so far.

Tried editing the grub config with the following as suggested elsewhere
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet rootdelay=10"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="scsi_mod.scan=sync"
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="lvm"

No luck.

Tried editing lvm.conf to disable filtering also no luck.

Recently I enabled snapshots for my pools, smartctl, monit, and zfs scrubbing. I was having issues with some LXC stopping so I rebooted the entire box through IMPI knowing they would boot powered down. Was planning on upgrading to Proxmox 5 then. Since Proxmox never loaded I've been trying to get it back online and working again before I upgrade.

Anyone know what might be going on here?

Just tried this
Code:
/etc/default/zfs

ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP='0'  we changed it to 4
update-initramfs -u
reboot
with no luck either
My ZFS list returns no datasets, the mount points are all there but with nothing mounted. And I can zpool import poolname but they dissipear after reboot and proxmox webGUI still doesnt work.

I upgraded and everything is working now with a fresh install but this message still comes up in the terminal after proxmox has loaded.

Out of curiosity are you using ZFS on root/system disk? If not, I was thinking you can try exporting and then importing the pool. Make sure to do full backup of your VM's/VM data just in case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!