Ubuntu 18.04 LTS LXC

MimCom

Apr 22, 2011
Southwest NM
Bionic Beaver ships this week. I would like to start building some test machines and am wondering how to create a template using DAB. Substituting names and numbers into an existing dab.conf returns
unsupported debian suite 'bionic'
when I try to init. Seems DAB is dependent on some backend infrastructure that is not yet aware?

I created an LXC of 17.10, edited the /etc/apt/sources.list and did a dist-upgrade (lengthy). Now:

# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch)
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

which looks reasonable. However, when I try to update the network config (change from node untagged RFC1918 address to a tagged VLAN with public IPs) I get this:

Attachments

• edit-veth-vlan.png
    edit-veth-vlan.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I noticed the pve-template update this afternoon and was able to build a template using DAB. Looks like it pulled a lot of stuff we don't usually want or need (including some x11 stuff) -- template ended up ~3X the size of others we have. Is there a guide for pruning the appliances of unwanted packages and adding others?

thank you~

I noticed the pve-template update this afternoon and was able to build a template using DAB. Looks like it pulled a lot of stuff we don't usually want or need (including some x11 stuff) -- template ended up ~3X the size of others we have. Is there a guide for pruning the appliances of unwanted packages and adding others?

thank you~

the difference between the standard artful and ubuntu templates is 4M (gzipped), but the bionic one actually has 8 packages less than the artful one (380 vs 388) ;) the x11 utils are installed in both variants..

and if you want a more minimal template, you can use "dab bootstrap --minimal" instead of "dab bootstrap", but you might need to add some packages manually to get all the functionality you want. in case of artful and bionic, this further trims down the template size (~ -30%) and the installed package count (226 for artful, 216 for bionic), no longer including the x11-utils stuff as well.

Reactions: morph027

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!