Windows Templates

Sessa45

Apr 3, 2018
Hello,

SolusVM, a Backend software for the provisioning of VMs, provide Windows templates (2008 / 2012).

This KVM templates have a license included so the customer can activate the license for 180 days.
Is there a possibility to enable this templates for the Proxmox provisioning? The template extension is .gz

The templates are official provided by SolsuVM repo.

I don't if this works, but we build us own templates very easy. Install Windowsvm, Update, install programms, do some specials. Make a clone, and in the clone do an sysprep. In this state convert your machine to an vm template.

I don't if this works, but we build us own templates very easy. Install Windowsvm, Update, install programms, do some specials. Make a clone, and in the clone do an sysprep. In this state convert your machine to an vm template.

Good idea. But i have not license keys for windows.
In my mentdioned templates from SolusVM you dont need a license key to activate the windows.

Good idea. But i have not license keys for windows.
In my mentdioned templates from SolusVM you dont need a license key to activate the windows.
You don't need a licensekey for installation! Install the EVAL and activate licence in production. But this is only available in powershell.
You can do this like this:

Delete your EVAL:
Code:
slmgr -upk
Search for available Windows Versions:
Code:
DISM /online /Get-TargetEditions
Look for running version:
Code:
DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition
Set the new productkey:
Code:
DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula

Reactions: Tmanok and chrone
Just out of curiosity:

Is it possible to install an eval that can be used as a template for creating other evals? At the moment, we reinstall every time we need an evaluation version just because the 180 days of the template are over.

Just out of curiosity:

Is it possible to install an eval that can be used as a template for creating other evals? At the moment, we reinstall every time we need an evaluation version just because the 180 days of the template are over.
They are not over. After activate a new template (done this day for a new customer with 2 Windows 2012r2 Servers) the eval beginn again automaticly at 180day. Never had this issue with an syspreped machine. You can also reset the eval to 180 days with powershell.

You can look at the days are available:
Code:
slmgr -dlv
Renew:
Code:
slmgr.vbs –rearm
Reboot and ready.

In the last years i setuped every Windowsversion only once ;) really, just setup on each version is enough :confused::p:eek:

Just out of curiosity:

Could you provide the eval template for me? During the installation of an Windows ISO i can not mark an option sounds like "eval" or something else. There is only the query off the license.

EDIT://
Found the Website to download the ISO EVAL´s. But I have no account. Is there an option to download the the EVAL ISO´s without any login / account?

Last edited:
Hi,

at this point, i wanna "re-open" this here ...
I have now an .gz file for Windows. In which location have i to paste this to create a VM with this template?

You can use cloud init with cloudbase images, then you don't have to take care of templates on your own.

You can use cloud init with cloudbase images, then you don't have to take care of templates on your own.

What does that mean?
How does that work?

I currently need a solution to build Linux and Windows images to create VMs with new configurations.

What does that mean?
How does that work?

I currently need a solution to build Linux and Windows images to create VMs with new configurations.

Please contact cloudbase regarding using their solution.
You should also do some reading in cloudinit prior to using it. There is a lot information out there. Just search your it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!