[SOLVED] Proxmox AES-NI Support

Jay L

Jan 27, 2018
Hi,

I am running Proxmox on a fanless PC which runs a J3160 which includes AES-NI acceleration. A container on this machine happens to be running OpenVPN. Does Proxmox expeose the AES-NI extentions to containers? I am not exactly sure how to test this or if there is something I need to do to test this, and so I figured that I would as the experts here.

Thank you!

Hi,

I am running Proxmox on a fanless PC which runs a J3160 which includes AES-NI acceleration. A container on this machine happens to be running OpenVPN. Does Proxmox expeose the AES-NI extentions to containers? I am not exactly sure how to test this or if there is something I need to do to test this, and so I figured that I would as the experts here.

Thank you!

Update so I found this page: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-find-out-aes-ni-advanced-encryption-enabled-on-linux-system/

Those tools confirm that the module is installed. However the test to see if it is working using "openssl engine" results in the following:

(rdrand) Intel RDRAND engine
(dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support​

Does this mean that AES-NI is not actually working?

Thank you!

Almost 5 years later, you can also just set the flag without setting an explicit cpu model:

View attachment 47407

Thanks very much for this. I didn't realize AES wasn't enabled in a guest VM by default. I am running Untangle NGFW in a guest VM under Proxmox version 8 with all default settings. Then I found your flag to enable AES as shown above. I've since done this after backing up my guest VM and the results are significantly improved with openssl tests upon rebooting the Untangle guest.

Reactions: LnxBil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!