Proxmox VE is 10 years old!

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
It's hard to believe that Proxmox VE is ten years old today, and how popular it has become! When Proxmox VE was first released in 2008, there was no management interface available for managing KVM and OpenVZ. Proxmox VE was designed to meet that need, and over the years it has added so many more features and scaled to meet the demands of enterprises and users alike who want an open-source platform to manage their virtualized IT infrastructure in a 100% software-defined data center.

We were, as far as I know, one of the first solutions to mash-up KVM and OpenVZ containers on a central management interface. The goal was to create an enterprise-class virtualization platform that offers the most flexibility and was easy to use. Through the wonderful work and feedback of developers and users alike, and through the support of our customers, partners and journalists, Proxmox VE has made its way from the "best kept secret" to the well-known open-source alternative for enterprise virtualization. Also we are grateful for our fantastic team and their hard work and constant input.

Here are some recent numbers on Proxmox VE
  • 200,000 Proxmox VE hosts (daily updating servers)
  • Proxmox VE is running in over 142 countries from Antarctica to Zambia
  • GUI translated into 19 languages
  • Over 41,000 active forum members in our community forum
  • 11,000 active commercial subscribers
Celebrate with us: Happy Birthday Proxmox VE promotion!
To celebrate 10 years of Proxmox Virtual Environment, we're giving you a special discount for the next 10 days on your new subscription. Use the code PVE-10-M1EN31 on the Proxmox online shop for a 10% discount rate on Proxmox VE subscriptions.
(Promo is valid 10 days from April 15 to April 25, 2018 for new and existing customers. Valid only on new subscriptions.)

What's up next?
For Proxmox VE 5.2 we are already working hard and it will bring some great new features such as Cloudinit and the SMB storage plugin. Check out the Proxmox VE roadmap https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

Read the press announcement: https://www.proxmox.com/en/news/press-releases

Thanks again to everyone, developers, users, customers and partners and all the followers, who have stuck with Proxmox VE through the past ten years. May the next ten be as thriving as the first!

Martin & Dietmar Maurer

Proxmox VE project leaders

Happy Birthday Proxmox!

• GUI translated into 19 languages

Where to send a ticket for a translation bug? It always annoys me in german translation to see "Stunde/Tag/Monat (durschnitt)" statt "durchschnitt" :)

Happy birthday! I remember first seeing PVE on Hak5 a long time ago... I was already locked into ESXi back then but never forgot how cool it seemed even back then. I'm glad when we started having some issues with our ESXi installation I remembered proxmox. It's certainly come a long way!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!