[SOLVED] ZFS 0.7.7

dik23

Apr 3, 2011
Current Proxmox is running ZoL 0.7.7 which I believe has a serious bug.

Any ideas when 0.7.8 will be available? Also will the eventual update require a server reboot to apply?

Thanks in advance

Edit - also will downgrading to 0.7.6 work while we wait?

Last edited:
This comment was made from one of the developers this morning on Hacker News:

We are working on it. We know what patch introduced the regression and 0.7.8 is going out soon to revert it. Until then, users should downgrade to 0.7.6 if they have not already. The Gentoo and EPEL maintainers have pulled the affected releases from the repositories (technically masked on Gentoo). Ubuntu was never affected.

The regression makes it so that creating a new file could fail with ENOSPC after which files created in that directory could become orphaned. Existing files seem okay, but I have yet to confirm that myself and I cannot speak for what others know. It is incredibly difficult to reproduce on systems running coreutils 8.23 or later. So far, reports have only come from people using coreutils 8.22 or older. The directory size actually gets incremented for each orphaned file, which makes it wrong after orphan files happen.

We will likely have some way to recover the orphaned files (like ext4’s lost+found) and fix the directory sizes in the very near future. Snapshots of the damaged datasets are problematic though. Until we have a subcommand to fix it (not including the snapshots, which we would have to list), the damage can be removed from a system that has it either by rolling back to a snapshot before it happened or creating a new dataset with 0.7.6 (or another release other than 0.7.7), moving everything to the new dataset and destroying the old. That will restore things to pristine condition.

It should also be possible to check for pools that are affected, but I have yet to finish my analysis to be certain that no false negatives occur when checking, so I will avoid saying how for now.

Thank you. Any idea if the downgrade needs a reboot to be effective?

If anyone's interested I've downgraded using and rebooted with:

Code:
aptitude install zfsutils-linux=0.7.6-pve1~bpo9 zfs-initramfs=0.7.6-pve1~bpo9 libzfs2linux=0.7.6-pve1~bpo9 zfs-zed=0.7.6-pve1~bpo9

Now the script here no longer gives the error it did with 0.7.7

Please shout if anyone sees any issues with what I've done here

I don't have any idea, but I'd assume so.

I'm just monitoring to see how Proxmox wants us to react to this.

Also on proxmox testing, hmm, EDIT: looks like it's already fixed on testing !
Great !
Also thanks dik23 for the quick fix !

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!