LXC 3.0.0 has been released

Reactions: karlf
What for exactly? We already provide templates for all major OS.

yes obv but not a tool for making template or modify an existing one (yes debootstrap but not exactly user friendly).
My idea is:
the distrobuilder tools is like ansible yaml, so we can build a part of web interface to interact with distrobuilder and create template;
in the beginning time only for add package, after config files etc

Those are optimized for docker,so I think you should run them inside docker.

i don't understand this, a docker file i just bunch of customization on libcontaier/runc.. (https://www.opencontainers.org/)
this is the future of container protocol/lib/spec or not?

thanks for your time and sorry for my bad english

I really like Docker and I am a heavy user, but it does not quite compare to lxc to me. You run a single app inside a docker container, no init system, nothing else. With lxc, you get the whole OS stack and can run complex apps (classical LAMP,...) including config management, updates and so on. But if this works, I'll test it for sure ;)

DAB is okay, but too limiting. Having a generic tool would be great, also in terms of development, as its spread onto more shoulders ;)

DAB is okay, but too limiting. Having a generic tool would be great, also in terms of development, as its spread onto more shoulders ;)

we'll take a closer look at whether distrobuilder fulfills our needs soon. I don't think any of us are opposed to having a general purpose wrapper around the various distro bootstrapping tools, and if distrobuilder works well enough, we will evaluate packaging it in addition to or instead of the existing *ab packages.

i don't understand this, a docker file i just bunch of customization on libcontaier/runc.. (https://www.opencontainers.org/)
this is the future of container protocol/lib/spec or not?

LXC templates contains a complete operating system (fully functional), whereas docker container are just a bunch of files. So I don't really think docker is the future.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!