container with physical disk

Idar Lund

Jan 26, 2016
Hi,

I've got a spare physical disk (/dev/sdb) that I want to add to a container. How to do that?

-Idar

Hi,

Found an answer here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-cannot-assign-a-block-device-to-container.23256/

But it turns out that I actually don't need to add the block device as a block device after all. The mountpoint (mpX) config option solved everything for me. That makes my lxc config file like this:

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 8
hostname: pwleak2
memory: 16384
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,hwaddr=c2:ba:b7:03:6e:30,ip=dhcp,tag=15,type=veth
ostype: centos
rootfs: local:121/vm-121-disk-1.raw,size=50G
swap: 0
mp0: /dev/sdb1,mp=/mnt/esdb,backup=0

..but before I got this far, I did all this:
I'm posting it here, so that if others really need to use a block device for their setup. This guide should work.

Since the "lxc.aa_profile" has been changed to "lxc.apparmor.profile" in 2.1 (https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-2-1-has-been-released/487), I had to use that instead.

When adding this to my lxc config file (/etc/pve/lxc/121.conf):
Code:
#allow block device passthrough
lxc.apparmor.profile: lxc-container-default-with-mounting
#add /dev/sdb
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = b 8:16 rwm
#add /dev/sdb1 (with ext4 partition)
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = b 8:17 rwm
..the container did not boot. I got a blank screen with nothing in it. I therefore added the "lxc.log.level: 1" option to my config file to be able to figure out what's going on in my logfile (/var/log/lxc/121.log).

I saw that my app armor has been loaded:
Code:
lxc-start 121 20180319140743.877 INFO     lxc_apparmor - lsm/apparmor.c:apparmor_process_label_set:238 - changed apparmor profile to lxc-container-default-with-mounting

I also saw repeating:
Code:
      lxc-start 121 20180319140743.880 DEBUG    lxc_commands - commands.c:lxc_cmd_handler:1037 - Peer has disconnected for "get_init_pid"
      lxc-start 121 20180319140743.880 DEBUG    lxc_commands - commands.c:lxc_cmd_handler:1037 - Peer has disconnected for "get_init_pid"
      lxc-start 121 20180319140743.880 DEBUG    lxc_commands - commands.c:lxc_cmd_handler:1037 - Peer has disconnected for "get_cgroup"
      lxc-start 121 20180319140743.880 DEBUG    lxc_commands - commands.c:lxc_cmd_handler:1037 - Peer has disconnected for "get_cgroup"
      lxc-start 121 20180319140743.880 DEBUG    lxc_commands - commands.c:lxc_cmd_handler:1037 - Peer has disconnected for "get_state"
      lxc-start 121 20180319140743.880 DEBUG    lxc_commands - commands.c:lxc_cmd_handler:1037 - Peer has disconnected for "get_state"
..but nothing were happening in the container. it was totally blank.

I removed the lxc.apparmor.profile configline to see which apparmor is loaded by default, the result was "lxc-default-with-mounting-cgns". I checked the /etc/apparmor.d/lxc/ directory and found a file called "lxc-default-cgns", with the following content:
Code:
# Do not load this file.  Rather, load /etc/apparmor.d/lxc-containers, which
# will source all profiles under /etc/apparmor.d/lxc

profile lxc-container-default-cgns flags=(attach_disconnected,mediate_deleted) {
  #include <abstractions/lxc/container-base>

# the container may never be allowed to mount devpts.  If it does, it
  # will remount the host's devpts.  We could allow it to do it with
  # the newinstance option (but, right now, we don't).
  deny mount fstype=devpts,
  mount fstype=cgroup -> /sys/fs/cgroup/**,
}

The important part here is the "mount fstype=cgroup -> /sys/fs/cgroup/**" config line. I then created a copy of the "lxc-default-with-mounting" config to "lxc-default-with-mounting-cgns" and added the csgroup config like this:
Code:

profile lxc-default-with-mounting-cgns flags=(attach_disconnected,mediate_deleted) {

# allow standard blockdevtypes.
# The concern here is in-kernel superblock parsers bringing down the
# host with bad data.  However, we continue to disallow proc, sys, securityfs,
# etc to nonstandard locations.
  mount fstype=ext*,
  mount fstype=xfs,
  mount fstype=btrfs,
}

When creating new apparmor files, I had to reload these files. I don't know how to do that and I was to lazy to google, but a reboot did the trick. After that I changed my lxc config by replacing the "lxc.apparmor.profile" like this:
Code:
lxc.apparmor.profile: lxc-default-with-mounting-cgns
#add /dev/sdb

Finally the lxc is starting correctly! After this I can add the block device to the lxc with "lxc-device add -n 121 /dev/sdb" and "lxc-device add -n 121 /dev/sdb1" (sdb1 allready have an ext4 partition). This made it possible to mount the partition within the lxc.

To add the block device when the lxc is starting, I had to do the following; https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-cannot-assign-a-block-device-to-container.23256/#post-118361

Hi,

I've got a spare physical disk (/dev/sdb) that I want to add to a container. How to do that?

-Idar

Hi ldar
I followed you simplified procedure using MPx to try to mount a HD in a Ubuntu LXC however the MP0 line in the config file prevents the container starting.

i did note that you assign directly in mp0: /dev/sdb1,mp=/mnt/test,backup=0
where in my PVE disk table only /dev/sdb can be seen

are the abstractions still required
mount fstype=ext*,
mount fstype=xfs,
mount fstype=btrfs,
and ...
#add /dev/sdb

finnboat

Last edited:
Hi,

Found an answer here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-cannot-assign-a-block-device-to-container.23256/

But it turns out that I actually don't need to add the block device as a block device after all. The mountpoint (mpX) config option solved everything for me. That makes my lxc config file like this:

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 8
hostname: pwleak2
memory: 16384
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,hwaddr=c2:ba:b7:03:6e:30,ip=dhcp,tag=15,type=veth
ostype: centos
rootfs: local:121/vm-121-disk-1.raw,size=50G
swap: 0
mp0: /dev/sdb1,mp=/mnt/esdb,backup=0

..but before I got this far, I did all this:
I'm posting it here, so that if others really need to use a block device for their setup. This guide should work.

Since the "lxc.aa_profile" has been changed to "lxc.apparmor.profile" in 2.1 (https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-2-1-has-been-released/487), I had to use that instead.

When adding this to my lxc config file (/etc/pve/lxc/121.conf):
Code:
lxc.apparmor.profile: lxc-container-default-with-mounting
#add /dev/sdb
..the container did not boot. I got a blank screen with nothing in it. I therefore added the "lxc.log.level: 1" option to my config file to be able to figure out what's going on in my logfile (/var/log/lxc/121.log).

I saw that my app armor has been loaded:
Code:
lxc-start 121 20180319140743.877 INFO     lxc_apparmor - lsm/apparmor.c:apparmor_process_label_set:238 - changed apparmor profile to lxc-container-default-with-mounting

I also saw repeating:
Code:
..but nothing were happening in the container. it was totally blank.

I removed the lxc.apparmor.profile configline to see which apparmor is loaded by default, the result was "lxc-default-with-mounting-cgns". I checked the /etc/apparmor.d/lxc/ directory and found a file called "lxc-default-cgns", with the following content:
Code:

profile lxc-container-default-cgns flags=(attach_disconnected,mediate_deleted) {

# the container may never be allowed to mount devpts.  If it does, it
  # will remount the host's devpts.  We could allow it to do it with
  # the newinstance option (but, right now, we don't).
  deny mount fstype=devpts,
}

The important part here is the "mount fstype=cgroup -> /sys/fs/cgroup/**" config line. I then created a copy of the "lxc-default-with-mounting" config to "lxc-default-with-mounting-cgns" and added the csgroup config like this:
Code:

profile lxc-default-with-mounting-cgns flags=(attach_disconnected,mediate_deleted) {

# allow standard blockdevtypes.
# The concern here is in-kernel superblock parsers bringing down the
# host with bad data.  However, we continue to disallow proc, sys, securityfs,
# etc to nonstandard locations.
  mount fstype=ext*,
  mount fstype=xfs,
  mount fstype=btrfs,
}

When creating new apparmor files, I had to reload these files. I don't know how to do that and I was to lazy to google, but a reboot did the trick. After that I changed my lxc config by replacing the "lxc.apparmor.profile" like this:
Code:
#add /dev/sdb

Finally the lxc is starting correctly! After this I can add the block device to the lxc with "lxc-device add -n 121 /dev/sdb" and "lxc-device add -n 121 /dev/sdb1" (sdb1 allready have an ext4 partition). This made it possible to mount the partition within the lxc.

To add the block device when the lxc is starting, I had to do the following; https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-cannot-assign-a-block-device-to-container.23256/#post-118361
Thank you!!!

curious, what is the solution and steps for the current version of PVE & LXC ?!

any guidance is greatly appreciated

Reactions: BMkPCFBgMos

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!