Use proxmox VE as primary workstation?

J

Jason Perlow

For those of us that have 64-bit laptops, is there an easy way to add X-Windows and a basic GNOME config to Proxmox VE?

are there debian repos we can add and any specific meta-packages to give us a basic environment?

are there debian repos we can add and any specific meta-packages to give us a basic environment?

We are working on that. The problem is that there is no 64bit firefox java plugin available currently.

- Dietmar

I was able to do this by adding the debian repos to /etc/apt/sources.list and installed

apt-get install xorg
apt-get install gnome

after the system came up I brought up synaptic and looked for 32-bit, and installed the 32-bit compat libs for GTK. Then I did a manual install of Firefox 3 by copying it to /opt and also a manual install of java by copying it to /opt. symbolically linking the java executable from /usr/bin and also symlinking the libjavaplugin_oji.so in the /opt/java/plugin/i386/ns7/ to the same name /opt/firefox/plugins/directory.

However, after too many apt-get updates and upgrades I destabilized the system, probably due to conflicting packages, so I think proxmox needs to have these in its own repo. You're gonna have to repackage 32-bit firefox and sun java and probably also flash.

Hi,

It may be too late to reply for this post but I just saw it. Anyway, I installed gnome-desktop-environment using apt-get on top of Proxmox VE and every thing is going well. To access to VMs, I had windows version of Firefox 32 bit and Sun Java installed through Wine and they are working well as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!