[SOLVED] Blacklist not working

Christian Röser

Feb 13, 2018
Hello,

we are using PMG 5 and the blacklist feature is not working. E-Mails from address on the blacklist are only marked as spam and are not blocked. We are using the standard ruleset so there is a rule Blacklist, Priority 98, Block from Blacklist. Whats wrong with my configuration?

I don't know if it is important but we are recieving our mails with fetchmail.

Best Regards,
Christian

Hello,

we are using PMG 5 and the blacklist feature is not working. E-Mails from address on the blacklist are only marked as spam and are not blocked. We are using the standard ruleset so there is a rule Blacklist, Priority 98, Block from Blacklist. Whats wrong with my configuration?

You talk about the personal blacklist? Yes, if you add something there, it will be moved in the quarantine.

We consider this too risky, blocking email based on a blacklist maintained by the end user, therefore we just move these email to the quarantine.

If you talk about the global blacklist in the rule system, you can select whatever you need (block or quarantine).

Hello Tom,

thanks for clarifying that. Yes, I was talking about the personal blacklists and I can understand your position.

But it is a bit anoying to get every day a spam report with the same messages in quarantine. Maintaining the global blacklist manually would be to although to anoying. If there was a way to block emails for each user individually based on the personal blacklist would be great. Is there a way to achieve something like that, maybe some hack? Using it at my own risk...

I am not a big fan of a personal blacklists. Properly configured, the Gateway should work and the end user should not play around with rules.

The default behavior cannot be changed in our GUI, but of course, if you are familiar with coding you can take a deeper look on https://git.proxmox.com/

In the daily spam list the "Blacklist"-URL gives the user the option to blacklist an email-address of an email already identified as spam. For sure another email from the same sender can be identified as ham the next time. The user should then login and set it on the blacklist. The implementation as it is is confusing for the average end user. I am waiting for the first complaints: "I clicked the blacklist link in my daily spam report and i am still getting emails from this address (in my quarantine)"

Reactions: Plaintext
In the daily spam list the "Blacklist"-URL gives the user the option to blacklist an email-address of an email already identified as spam. For sure another email from the same sender can be identified as ham the next time. The user should then login and set it on the blacklist. The implementation as it is is confusing for the average end user. I am waiting for the first complaints: "I clicked the blacklist link in my daily spam report and i am still getting emails from this address (in my quarantine)"

yes its not 100 % optimal. what is your suggestions?

The default behavior cannot be changed in our GUI, but of course, if you are familiar with coding you can take a deeper look on https://git.proxmox.com/

Ehr, no thanks. That is cleary something beyond my programming skills. ;) As a "hack" I had something like manually changing some config files in mind. :D

I'm facing the exactly the situation ChFin is talking about. Arguing with users why to use the blacklist function in the spam report, what sense this function makes when the messages are not blocked and so on.

Although I am not happy about it I think there is no other way than manually maintaining the global blacklist.

Ehr, no thanks. That is cleary something beyond my programming skills. ;) As a "hack" I had something like manually changing some config files in mind. :D

I'm facing the exactly the situation ChFin is talking about. Arguing with users why to use the blacklist function in the spam report, what sense this function makes when the messages are not blocked and so on.

Although I am not happy about it I think there is no other way than manually maintaining the global blacklist.

99 % of the users will just ignore email in their quarantine reports. We have this since more than 10 years and so far complaints from end users are very limited.

99 % of the users will just ignore email in their quarantine reports. We have this since more than 10 years and so far complaints from end users are very limited.

It could be the usual complaints because it is something new. :rolleyes: I just checked the users blacklist and saw that only 2 or 3 persons are using it, the rest seems to ignore the blacklist function. o_O

I our case people get spam mails from the same sender every day, which goes to the spam-report.
So now they don't get the original Spam but the report. For these users only few has changed.
They have to delete this mail every morning.

Isn`t there any config option to block these mails at smtp-time? The user explicitly asked and agreed to it by clicking on "blacklist".

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!