Backup problem -

Jordi Guillaumes

Feb 4, 2018
Hello,

I'm getting a problem whith my backups (which used to work perfectly). Some of the backup jobs fail with this error:

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 107 --remove 0 --node pve --mailto jguillaumes --mode snapshot --compress gzip --storage Backup
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 107 (lxc)
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: elastic01
INFO: excluding bind mount point mp0 ('/var/snapshot') from backup
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: create storage snapshot 'vzdump'
Using default stripesize 64.00 KiB.
Logical volume "snap_vm-107-disk-1_vzdump" created.
INFO: remove vzdump snapshot
Logical volume "snap_vm-107-disk-1_vzdump" successfully removed
ERROR: Backup of VM 107 failed - activate_volume 'pve/snap_vm-107-disk-1_vzdump' error: device-mapper: create ioctl on pve-snap_vm--107--disk--1_vzdumpLVM-R5xSYHaqjEm8Ik5lSlzS1Q9RiVAhcV4GOa3MxtwOXBuDSNz8f5142eorITDAxeiP failed: No such device or address
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

Aparently vzdump tremoves the snapshot just after creating, and then tries to use it again.

My running environment is:

Code:
CPU(s)
2 x AMD Opteron(tm) X3216 APU (1 Socket)
Kernel Version
Linux 4.13.13-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.13.13-32 (Thu, 21 Dec 2017 09:02:14 +0100)
PVE Manager Version
pve-manager/5.1-41/0b958203

I'll appreciate any suggestion to fix this problem. Thanks!

Please update to the newest version of PVE, to not hunt any ghosts.

I'll do (I assume an apt-get upgrade is enough to do so).
On the other hand, I rebooted the server and now the problem has gone away (for the moment).

Hello again,

I did a dist-upgrade and got no updates, so I assume I'm already running the last version (the same I pasted in the first post in this thread). If it is not then there is something wrong with my apt setup.

Nevertheless, the problem reappeared again last night. At this moment it just affects one of my lxc containers. The rest of backups run normally.

The problem appears both in scheduled backups and in manual ones. The error message and sequence is the same I posted before.

If there is any info/log setup/whatever that I can do to help to pinpoint the problem, please just ask.

Thanks!

Which update repository do you use? It looks you missed to upload a subscription key or the configuration of pve-no-subscription repo.?

Aaaand you were right. I failed to add the non-subscription repository to my sources.list. I'm upgrading right now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!