Proxmox Mail Gateway 5.0 beta released!

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
Proxmox-Mail-Gateway-5-0-email-statistic.png Proxmox-Mail-Gateway-5-0-installing-updates.png Proxmox-Mail-Gateway-5-0-quarantine-interface.png Proxmox-Mail-Gateway-5-0-rules.png

We're really excited to announce the release of the brand new Proxmox Mail Gateway 5.0 beta, now fully licensed under the open source license AGPL!

After 12 years on the market we did a complete re-work of our Proxmox Mail Gateway.

Here are the highlights
  • Based on Debian Stretch 9.3 with a 4.13.13 kernel
  • ISO installer supports all ZFS raid levels
  • ExtJS based user interface
  • New API
  • Integrated documentation
  • Subscription-based enterprise support options (similar to the Proxmox VE support subscription model)
Of course, all the features you know from the Proxmox Mail Gateway 4 are included. All included - no hidden cost nor extra license:
  • Object-Oriented Rule System
  • Virus and Spam filters
  • Message Tracking Center
  • End User Quarantine Web Interface
  • User Management and LDAP
  • Dashboard and Statistics
  • Clustering (Master/Slave synchronisation via SSH tunnel)
Download Proxmox Mail Gateway 5.0 beta ISO
https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads

Source Code
https://git.proxmox.com

Bugtracker
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

FAQ
Q: Can I do an inplace-upgrade from Proxmox Mail Gateway 4 to 5?
A: No. But you can backup/restore the rule database and email statistic from PMG 4 to 5.

Q: Can I upgrade from the Proxmox Mail Gateway 5.0 beta to the final 5.0 release with apt?
A: Yes.

Q: Which update repositories are available?
A: We use the well known Debian repositories and the Proxmox Mail Gateway repositories:

# pmgtest repository, for testing new features or bug fixes
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pmg stretch pmgtest

# pmg-no-subscription - updates for non-subscribers
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pmg stretch pmg-no-subscription

# pmg-enterprise - stable updates for enterprise subscribers
deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pmg stretch pmg-enterprise

Q: Can I install Proxmox Mail Gateway on top of Debian Stretch?
A: Yes.

Q: When do you expect the first stable release and the new Proxmox Mail Gateway subscription pricing?
A: January 2018

Q: I have a valid Avira SAV license key, can I use this one also on 5.0?
A: No. Avira SAV is not available for 5.0.

Q: I have a valid Proxmox Mail Gateway 4 license with enterprise support, can I use this license also for 5.0?
A: Yes. We will convert existing license keys to a new subscription key on request. Just get in touch with your reseller. No extra costs for conversion.

We hope you will like the new Proxmox Mail Gateway and are looking forward to your feedback.
Please help us reaching the final release date by testing this beta and by providing feedback via https://forum.proxmox.com

Martin Maurer
Proxmox Mail Gateway project leader

Q: When do you expect the first stable release and the new Proxmox Mail Gateway subscription pricing?

How the licensing it'll work? Similar to the Proxmox VE?

How the licensing it'll work? Similar to the Proxmox VE?

Yes, the licensing is identical - AGPL.

The subscription pricing will be similar, available in January.

Assuming there is some sort of end user login on the Proxmox server, where the individual domain owner can view their quarantine etc, how can you consolidate this into one interface, when you have multiple inbound Proxmox mail servers in a round robin DNS configuration?

Does the Clustering (Master/Slave synchronisation via SSH tunnel) take care of that?

Assuming there is some sort of end user login on the Proxmox server, where the individual domain owner can view their quarantine etc, how can you consolidate this into one interface, when you have multiple inbound Proxmox mail servers in a round robin DNS configuration?

Does the Clustering (Master/Slave synchronisation via SSH tunnel) take care of that?

All admin users can see all logs and quarantined items. There is no "per domain" admin. Instead of managing multiple admins on a single mail gateway, we suggest to run a mail gateway instance for each.
You can also think of running these instances as LXC containers.

Ok, so I presume you're considering this to be used for just one client for each gateway, so more appropriate for the 1/3/5 licences. The unlimited domain license doesn't really have a place when you look at it that way.

Because of the unlimited domain license, initially this has definite appeal as a whole appliance for hundreds of destination domains, but without any sort of individual user access, that won't work unfortunately.

Have you considered extending this for use by providers for shared and reseller hosting end users? Where the domain client can login to the interface to manage their own quarantine?

Reactions: flames
Ok, so I presume you're considering this to be used for just one client for each gateway, so more appropriate for the 1/3/5 licences. The unlimited domain license doesn't really have a place when you look at it that way.

You talk here about the license model for V4, but this thread is about V5 - V5 is licensed under aGPLv3, so there are no license costs. Support Subscriptions starts on quite low prices, available in week.

You might want to update your website then. I presume you've dropped the fees because, as I found myself, the pricing model doesn't really work.

Yes, the website will promote the new version as soon as its stable and available in a week or two. V5 is currently in beta only.

First things first, thanks for Your great work and congrats to this release!

Have you considered extending this for use by providers for shared and reseller hosting end users? Where the domain client can login to the interface to manage their own quarantine?

I would like to second this. The market is pretty rare sown with mailgateways for webhosting. Also SMTP-Auth would be a very needed in this sector.

First things first, thanks for Your great work and congrats to this release!

I would like to second this. The market is pretty rare sown with mailgateways for webhosting. Also SMTP-Auth would be a very needed in this sector.
SMTP Auth is very easy to implement by using nginx as smtp proxy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!