Upgrade Path from 4.4 to 5.1

eric_f

Oct 14, 2011
Hey everyone,

I've been reading a lot about the upgrade path from 4.4 to 5.1 and I just wanted to clarify that I understand everything I've read.

My current setup is a 3 node cluster running Ceph Jewel. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do the upgrade with zero downtime, and I believe it should be possible based on what I've read.

The process would look like this:

- Upgrade Ceph from Jewel to Luminous. I'm hoping I can do this and leave everything else at its current version until I'm happy that everything is fine. I also believe I can do this with 0 downtime?
- Migrate all VM's off of one node to the other two
- Upgrade Proxmox on the now empty node to version 5.1
- Test everything
- Migrate all VM's from one of the other nodes to the now 5.1 version of Proxmox
- Upgrade the second node
- Repeat for the final node

Does anybody see any pitfalls or holes in my logic?

Cheers,
Eric

I just did the same procedure.
Watch out for network interfaces being auto-renamed.
The upgrade process failed once on every node, a simple apt-get install -f fixed it.
However, since the upgrade i recently get a "501 too many open files" from the webui (no lxc containers in use).
This might result in api calls failing for example.

Anything else went flawless, upgrading is quite easy.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!