IPMI not accessible through the ProxMox virtual switch

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 14, 2016
Hello, I have Supermicro MB X11SPi-TF with IPMI. The IPMI has separate port but I would like to access it over one of the MB network ports. This port is also used for entry point for the proxmox host. I am using pfSense VM with 4x 1Gb Intel nics passed to the pfSense VM. The pfSense and the NIC on the MB are connected over cable.

The problem is that the IPMI is not accessible through the proxmox virtual switch. The IPMI is accessible from the proxmox host, the router VM and other clients which are not going through the proxmox switch.
Do you have any idea what settings are needed on the switch in order to access the IPMI from VMs which are connected to the proxmox switch?

In the attachment is my network topology.
The pfSense LAN IP is 10.10.0.2
The IPMI IP is 10.10.0.4
The proxmox switch IP is 10.10.0.3.
The switch configuration is:
Code:
iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.10.0.3
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.10.0.2
        bridge_ports eno1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

network-topology.jpg

You can use multiple bridges, without the need of any network ports. But in any case, if your server is down, you will not be able to reach the IPMI interface to reset the server.

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to use this configuration in order to simplify my network settings as this is a single node home lab.
As workaround I have connected the dedicate IPMI NIC to my switch and now it is accessible from the machines behind the virtual switch.
I still wonder why the virtual switch is not passing the traffic to the IPMI.

I still wonder why the virtual switch is not passing the traffic to the IPMI.
Those the IPMI interface use VLAN? If so then the shared IPMI interface will filter out the specific VLAN tagged traffic, it will never reach the VMs on the way back.

There are no VLANs. Everything is on the same LAN 10.10.0.0/24.
In practise the MB NIC has two IPs one of the IPMI and the other one is of the host. I guess the bridge can't see the second IP. I don't know how the MB implements the IPMI on the same NIC.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!