[SOLVED] LVM or EXT4 on KVM guest?

Nice, don't works on CentOS. Tested with other kernels and programms. ;( Love my Ubuntu :)
Tested on Gentoo and Debian, works also fine.
:'-(... Thanks to clarify the situation, so in our case with centos (we use cloudlinux that is based on centos), I suppose that only lvm is posible to resize online...

:'-(... Thanks to clarify the situation, so in our case with centos (we use cloudlinux that is based on centos), I suppose that only lvm is posible to resize online...

Unfortunately, you still have not understood that LVM has the same problem. You have to resize the physical volume which lies in a partition (if you use it on a partition) and have the exact same problem: You cannot resize the volume online.

Unfortunately, you still have not understood that LVM has the same problem. You have to resize the physical volume which lies in a partition (if you use it on a partition) and have the exact same problem: You cannot resize the volume online.
With lvm, I can add without any problem an disk, and extend volume using this new disk... I have test it and work without any problem in centos7...

With lvm, I can add without any problem an disk, and extend volume using this new disk... I have test it and work without any problem in centos7...

Yes, that's right. I talked about resizing/expanding an existing disk. Sorry, I thought we are still talking about that. Adding another one is of course always possible and better with LVM.

Yes, that's right. I talked about resizing/expanding an existing disk. Sorry, I thought we are still talking about that. Adding another one is of course always possible and better with LVM.

Don't worry, this is effectively 2 distinct things... so, in centos :
- There is absolutely no way to expend online an partition on same disk (no in ext4 and no in lvm), only can be done offline by iso gparted for exemple.
- The only option to do it online (is what I have tested yet in some VM), is have an LVM system, add disk (not increase space of an used disk) and expend LVM volume using this disk.

Thanks to you help @fireon and @LnxBil I know now the real option that we have!

Reactions: fireon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!