Random BSOD Server 2008 after p2v

It crashed again today. Virtio is not the problem, it also crashes without Virtio drivers (IDE, e1000 and lsi/default controller).

Any tips?

Here is the another idea. The reason i am mentioning it is i had to go this route for one of Windows Server physical to virtual.
There is program called VMware Converter (https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/in...ement/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/5_5).
It converts a physical machine to a vmdk image format. You can directly plugin the vmdk image file into a VM. If all works out convert the .vmdk to .raw.
If you have the physical machine still sitting somewhere, it may be worth the shot. I had to do this way when one of the Windows P2V crashed every few minutes in Proxmox.

I don't have the original server anymore. We migrated the servers p2v to a test server. Once that worked fine (before we noticed the BSODs), we reinstalled the old server with Proxmox and migrated the VM's from the test server back to the original server (now virtualized). On our test server we thought we didn't have this issue, so once we saw the BSODs we went back to the test server but came to the conclusion that this server has the same problems. This directly eliminates hardware failure, as the servers are completely different and the test server is kown good. Also, during the switch back to the test server we memtested the original server without problems.

So for now we are stuck and thinking about a clean Windows server 2008 install for both servers. This will be a costly operation, as we only thought it would take a few hours to virtualize the customers server but now we have to do a complete migration. Also, I'm not sure if the clean Windows server 2008 will work without problems...

Your packages seem outdated, e.g pve-qemu-kvm 1.4-17 where it should be 2.1-10 whith latest pve.
Have you also tried with 3.10 kernel?

I've applied pve-no-subscription repository and upgraded the host. Waiting for another BSOD.

proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.3-139 (running kernel: 2.6.32-34-pve)
pve-manager: 3.3-5 (running version: 3.3-5/bfebec03)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-34-pve: 2.6.32-140
pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve: 2.6.32-114
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.7-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.10-1
pve-cluster: 3.0-15
qemu-server: 3.3-3
pve-firmware: 1.1-3
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-19
libpve-access-control: 3.0-15
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-25
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3
vncterm: 1.1-8
vzctl: 4.0-1pve6
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.1-10
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-1

It crashed again.

We will try to hire a expert for a final check to see if we missed something. Else we will move this customer to a new server.

1 month later, the problem is still there. We've till the end of this month to come with a fix or we will have to migrate everything.

Anyone has some more tips? Here are the latest things we've tried:
- Disable BIOS powersave functions (performance profile, disable C-states)
- Removed any remaining software/drivers and run some removal tools
- Applied some hotfixes, didn't work so not relevant which ones
- Updated Proxmox and Virtio drivers to the latest versions
- Did some AV scans with multiple AV programs (deleted them after a full run)
- Driver verifier, but the BSOD only points to ntoskrnl.exe and not a specific driver/application
- Did another full memory test, disk benchmark/stresstest and CPU burn
- Tried single CPU core (someones tip)
- Disabled many Microsoft software like WSUS, Sharepoint (stuff that comes with SBS 2008 but isn't used)

Last few days the server crashed about 4 times a day, so it's a lot more now. We've allready moved the DNS, DHCP and fileserver part to a different server. The SBS server is only used for accounts and Exchange 2007 now, so the impact of a crash is minimal (just outlook goes offline for about 10 minutes). The APP server doesn't crash that often, only 2 times a month and mostly outside working hours.

Hopefully someone has any tips. I've never had a IT problem like this that I couldn't solve without a complete reinstall.

Just 4 days ago we converted a MSSQL based Inventory Management Server from physical to virtual. The OS is Windows Server 2008 R2. The server is somewhat heavily used on regular basis. Going on 5th day without any crash or restart. I am sure you have tried just about all you could. Does it crash when in safe mode?

Hi check-ict,

We have about 30 servers running in VMs powered by KVM and two of them are Windows Server 2008 R2 that were previously P2V'd - all the others are running Windows Server 2012 R2.
Both of the Windows Server 2008 R2 are BSoD'ing randomly on a regular basis, and yet the 2012 R2's are not having any issues (some have been P2V'd as well).

Since about a month ago (I've been reading your post for a while), I decided to RDP into them and keep my session up & running 24/7 to monitor the servers and since then they haven't crashed a single time.
I couldn't believe the 24/7 RDP session was keeping the servers from BSoD'ing so two days ago I closed one of the RDP session and that server crashed twice again yesterday. The other server has yet crashed a single time for over a month and so I'm reluctant on closing the RDP session as well to test yet again if that's solving the problem.

What is your STOP error when you get the BSoD?

And btw this is also the first time I can't resolve an issue without a complete reinstall (or upgrade)...

Hi check-ict,

Have you found the problem because I have the same problem with Windows Server 2008R2 x64 P2V since 2 months.
On average, once a week, I have a BSOD STOP 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I can not reinstall Windows because I do not have the softwares installation media.
I try different version of virtio drivers, etc ...
Someone for a solution please?

Hi.
Someone found a solution?
Windows server 2008 - every night VM restarted with error 0x0000000a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
Here are the latest things we've tried:
-change disk type qcow2\raw, virtio\sata\ide;
-change version virtio drivers ;
-disable\enable balooning;
-tried single CPU core;
-remove all not critical software (now works only oracle 10G);
-updated Proxmox;
-test memory, disk, CPU.
Nothing helped.

Unfortunately we never solved this. We created a new Server 2012R2 server on the same Proxmox host and migrated all Windows shares, users etc. and decommissioned the 2008 server.

hi check-ict,

I'm a bit late. But have you checked your windows-licences. I am actually bit in my butt by a 2k8r2 server with a (formery thought) cheap hp-hardware locked foundation licence. These do some regularly checkups and I think these dependances have to be eliminated first. Keywords: Dism online update with another product key.

maybe your problem is (as often) a commercial - and not a technical,
greets,
vmanz

hi check-ict,

I'm a bit late. But have you checked your windows-licences. I am actually bit in my butt by a 2k8r2 server with a (formery thought) cheap hp-hardware locked foundation licence. These do some regularly checkups and I think these dependances have to be eliminated first. Keywords: Dism online update with another product key.

maybe your problem is (as often) a commercial - and not a technical,
greets,
vmanz
Thanks for the answer!
My Windows version is licensed (Volume License key), in the system settings it says that windows activation is complete. Dont have any another product key and i do not think that the problem is a commercial\my key.

Just a shot in the dark: have you disabled all the power-savings / hybernate / whatever INSIDE the vm? Set to "power hungry/high performance" profile and fine tune sub-settings that can cause anything to go in sleep mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!