[SOLVED] ZFS Missing or Invalid Label Issue

mhayhurst

Jul 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

I came across this error on one of my Proxmox installations and although replacing the bad HDD would more than likely fix the problem I was concerned that the output of zpool status -v is saying the failed disk was the same device name as the online disk. Shouldn't the device name of the failed disk be /dev/sda1 or something other than /dev/sda2 which is already online and functioning?

Code:
root@proxmox1:/dev/disk/by-id# zpool status -v
  pool: rpool
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing or
    invalid.  Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
    functioning in a degraded state.
action: Replace the device using 'zpool replace'.
   see: http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-4J
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h51m with 0 errors on Sun Jun 11 01:15:11 2017
config:

NAME                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    rpool                    DEGRADED     0     0     0
      mirror-0               DEGRADED     0     0     0
        6165980698595668622  FAULTED      0     0     0  was /dev/sda2
        sda2                 ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

you previously had two disks - called sda and sdb by the Linnux kernel. the ZFS pool 'rpool' consists of the partitions sda2 and sdb2 (sda1 and sdb1 are for grub, sda9 and sdb9 are reserved). now you lose sda (and therefore sda2). on the next reboot, what was sdb is now called sda because the kernel just enumerates disks starting with 'a'.

ZFS just tells you that rpool consists of a mirror with two vdevs, one with the ID '6165980698595668622', which has failed, and was last seen when it was called "/dev/sda2", and one which is online, which is NOW called "sda2". ZFS does not care much about how the OS calls the disks - it uses the IDs internally anyway. the printed names/paths are for the admin's convenience.

you previously had two disks - called sda and sdb by the Linnux kernel. the ZFS pool 'rpool' consists of the partitions sda2 and sdb2 (sda1 and sdb1 are for grub, sda9 and sdb9 are reserved). now you lose sda (and therefore sda2). on the next reboot, what was sdb is now called sda because the kernel just enumerates disks starting with 'a'.

ZFS just tells you that rpool consists of a mirror with two vdevs, one with the ID '6165980698595668622', which has failed, and was last seen when it was called "/dev/sda2", and one which is online, which is NOW called "sda2". ZFS does not care much about how the OS calls the disks - it uses the IDs internally anyway. the printed names/paths are for the admin's convenience.

That makes sense and thank you for clearing that up!

I have some similar experience, I install proxmox with 2 HDD SSD of 500GB, when I install, I create partition mirror ,everything work good, but today, I have issues, the node begin to stop services and not work approperly. and when I check the disc I can see one disk is unavailable, for some reason this HDD make fail.

zpool status
pool: rpool
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing or
invalid. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
functioning in a degraded state.
action: Replace the device using 'zpool replace'.
see: http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-4J
scan: scrub repaired 0B in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sun Oct 14 00:24:07 2018
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
rpool DEGRADED 0 0 0
mirror-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
sda2 ONLINE 0 0 0
994773960251519702 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 was /dev/sdb2

errors: No known data errors

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!