Balloon or not?

killmasta93

Renowned Member
Aug 13, 2017
Hi,
As i read my articles and wiki, many have said to disable ballooning. As my understanding ballooning should actually help the host when the VM (using fixed ram) is not using the ram it gives it back? Others say it gives issue for windows and linux? so the real question is balloon or not to balloon?

Thank you

Personally i never had an issue using it with bsd,linux or windows. Just keep an eye on the memory usage from the hostsystem.

Personally i never had an issue using it with bsd,linux or windows. Just keep an eye on the memory usage from the hostsystem.
when you mean keep an eye do you mean so that the vm wont eat up the hosts ram? but wouldn't a fixed ram with ballooning enable and a fixed arc, would not touch the ram of the host?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!