Proxmox vm reporting strange disk usage

TobiasE

Dec 6, 2017
Hello
On my vm df -h reports the following on a disk which using ls -la seems to be completly empty
tobias@Migration:~$ df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 225M 0 225M 0% /dev
tmpfs 49M 1.9M 47M 4% /run
/dev/sda1 197G 2.7G 184G 2% /
tmpfs 245M 0 245M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 49M 0 49M 0% /run/user/1000
/dev/sdb 225G 60M 213G 1% /mnt/Mountpoint

Note /dev/sdb which is a disk i migrated from another vm.
It reports 225G size which is correct.
It then goes on saying I am using 60M, which seems to be a little high given that it appears to be empty, so that is the first question, what is taking up 60M?
After that, it gets even stranger Available is only 213, so I have miraculously lost 12G to a wormhole somewhere? use % doesn't make sense either. Note however that for sda1 it reports correctly.
What am I missing?

The device is working properly, I can create and remove files on it
the file system is ext4

I have the same problem if i create disks in the web gui and then add them to a host size 59G available 56G use 1%....

Ah, aperantly ext4 by default reserves 5% of the disk for root usage, that would explain the 12G.
The only space not accounted for then is the 60M used by an empty directory.....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!