Hourly Spam Report

D.P.

May 13, 2016
Hi!
Is this posible to send more often spam reports?
Currently this is one message per day but my users need receive information about blocked message
in few minutes or one hour.

Regards,
Darek

Simply modify the subject (add SPAM prefix and deliver the mails instead of moving them to quarantine..,.

We are investigating the PMG and so far all is well, except you have to tell me there MUST be a way to get a report more than once / day. We have used systems like MXForce and Fusemail that make it possible for users to get a report at least every 3 hours. This is the only deal breaker we have to purchasing a full clustered license for PMG! How can I modify the cron or something to make this happen? Thank you!

Add: I found the PMGQM command, but what options can I use with it?

USAGE: pmgqm <COMMAND> [ARGS] [OPTIONS]

pmgqm purge [OPTIONS]

pmgqm send [OPTIONS]

pmgqm status [OPTIONS]

Edit: I found in the online documentation the OPTIONS for potential usage. Now I can set CRON to any value and send automatically. So disregard this, kinda :)

Last edited:
Hi,
same question here - but in the manual I only found:

"10.6. pmgqm - Quarantine Management Toolkit
Toolkit to manage spam an virus quarantine, and send spam report mails."

what doesnt help. So: where did you find this info or whats the command for the cron-job?

Would be great if one could choose how often / when the reports will be send because some people cant wait 23:59 hours to wait for this information and will be complaining that they didnt get a "very, very important" email.

Thanks!

Walhalla

1. User can always log in the quarantine web interface. Via an old daily report ticket link or via LDAP (if you have this configured)
  2. And you can just mark spam.
A "daily report" is sent daily, otherwise we have to call "every three hour report".

So just configure it to your needs.

Hi and thanks so far - even if it is no solution ;)

ad 1. Most of them will delete this email. And who knows this? I have to inform all the users that they can do it this way? So it is no "onetime"-link? Everybody who has / gets this link will be able to login in this users queue for everytime without authentification??? So, every user could save a bookmark to (t)his quarantine? Ups ...

ad 2. Yes. Up from 4 to 10 we mark as spam only. >10 it will be moved to quarantine.

ad 3. Would be great if one could choose if he wants (for example) daily / 3 hours / 6 hours / hourly .... or even better "every x hours". Could be generated a cron-job ... done ;) Unfortunately I cant configure nothing regarding this ;)

Thanks Walhalla

Hi and thanks so far - even if it is no solution ;)

ad 1. Most of them will delete this email. And who knows this? I have to inform all the users that they can do it this way? So it is no "onetime"-link? Everybody who has / gets this link will be able to login in this users queue for everytime without authentification??? So, every user could save a bookmark to (t)his quarantine? Ups ...

All this is up to you. Just configure LDAP, so all users can login everytime with their existing login credentials. What do you miss?

ad 2. Yes. Up from 4 to 10 we mark as spam only. >10 it will be moved to quarantine.

ad 3. Would be great if one could choose if he wants (for example) daily / 3 hours / 6 hours / hourly .... or even better "every x hours". Could be generated a cron-job ... done ;) Unfortunately I cant configure nothing regarding this ;)

Thanks Walhalla

Please file an enhancement request via https://bugzilla.proxmox.com or just configure manually cronjobs.

Sorry for the delay: If you look at the online help within PMG 5, then look under the section for Proxmox Mail Gateway Manual Pages you'll see the help section for pmgqm. That has a bunch of different options for sending quarantines. While I don't see a option to specify a time range, you could always just have it send every 3 hours, and your users would see (potentially) the same report every 3 hours, depending on new spams in their quarantine.

I had the same problem (pm gw V5.0-69)
Solution is a cronjob:

0 8-18 * * 1-5 /usr/bin/pmgqm send

Every hour between 8am and 6pm from monday to friday.
And if the spam section is empty you get no mail.

Bernd

Reactions: ihtxam
Solution is a cronjob:

Bernd

Thanks for your advise.
In version 4 it is:

0 8-17 * * 1-5 root /usr/bin/proxspamreport -y -p > /dev/null 2>&1

Solution is a cronjob:

Bernd

Is there any particular way to only send this out for an individual domain and not for all domains?

I.E. send to only example.com every 1 hour but not to example2.com and example3.com and so forth?

Hi,

according to the man page:
pmgqm send [OPTIONS]

Generate and send spam report emails.

--debug <boolean> (default = 0)
Debug mode. Print raw email to stdout instead of sending them.

--receiver <string>
Generate report for a single email address. If not specified, generate reports for all users.

--redirect <string>
Redirect spam report email to this address.

--style <custom | short | verbose>
Spam report style. Default value is read from spam quarantine configuration.

--timespan <today | week | yesterday> (default = today)
Select time span.
you can only specify a single address as option using --receiver
But you can try if a wildcard is allowed: *@uvw.xyz

Bernd

Hi,

according to the man page:

you can only specify a single address as option using --receiver
But you can try if a wildcard is allowed: *@uvw.xyz

Bernd

Thanks for the idea. I tried that and it fails out. Its not a bid deal, but it would be nice if the developers would allow for domain by doing mail options, but its probably not high on their list of things to do.

Solution is a cronjob:

Bernd
Can you please post complete command to run in SSH. I am sorry i am not expert and dont know how to run cron job. thank you so mcuh for replying soon.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!