cluster replication between two locations

Gerhard W. Recher

Mar 10, 2017
Munich
Hi Folks,

I plan a proxmox cluster for a customer, he has a dedicated line between two location, but only 10 Mbit/s synchronous.
vm's will be (windows ad terminalserver , exchange, m$-sql server) clients connect via rdp on Terminalserver .

We want to setup a cluster on both sites , so in case one site dies (fire/Power outage/.... ) users on the other site can work with the local replicated instance.

Is this possible, or will sync traffic saturating a 10 Mbit/s line, so no regular rdp traffic will get through ?

Backup site vm's will be started manually.

any directions ?

Hi,

When you want data replication between 2 remote sites, the best is zfs send/receive(like incremental backup at block level). I do not know if your dedicated inter data center link speed (10 Mb/s is enough or not. In this situation your best efforts is:

- use ceph with zfs as backend (so you can do zfs replication)
- replicate very often the most important data (will be finish faster)

When your primary DC is recover after a fail, you will be able to reverse the replication ( maybe during off-work period).

Try to imagine the non-zfs scenario: maybe multi-TB sync? Or only 1 TB with multi-billion files?

Hi,

When you want data replication between 2 remote sites, the best is zfs send/receive(like incremental backup at block level). I do not know if your dedicated inter data center link speed (10 Mb/s is enough or not. In this situation your best efforts is:

- use ceph with zfs as backend (so you can do zfs replication)
- replicate very often the most important data (will be finish faster)

When your primary DC is recover after a fail, you will be able to reverse the replication ( maybe during off-work period).

Try to imagine the non-zfs scenario: maybe multi-TB sync? Or only 1 TB with multi-billion files?
typical windows server ... workload tons of files in windows filesystem, dedicated sql-server, and exchange server ...
so transparent blockdevice replication would be best ....
existing line 10mbit/s leased line is now only used for 15 Workstations RDP traffic.. QoS is just not really possible (no layer-3 switch at customer site...)

The first thing, that you need to check, is how much data is read/written in time. 10mbps is very low for anything as replication.

I am looking for the same kind of solution, though I have a faster line to the remote site. Has anyone actually done anything like this, with CEPH?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!