Clone Windows 10 PRO VM with PVE 5

jgpalc

Oct 11, 2017
Hi,

I have created a virtual machine of windows 10 pro that works perfectly.
I have cloned this machine with the same parameters and it gives me the error.

Any idea where to look for a solution?

Thank you very much.

proxmox_error_clonar_windows10.jpg

I am not sure you can clone windows 10 machine.
you will have to SysPrep the machine before cloning.
to reset the hardwareID.

never manage it myself. like OP , the clone would not boot. at all.
manage to clone win7 though, with a little wrinkle here and there but it did worked.
although I did that on Hyper-V setup not Proxmox.

Maybe a dumb question, but how did you clone the VM?

I never had any problems cloning windows desktops, activating is some thing different but they all boot fine.

well initially I just made a copy of the virtual drive file and attached it to new VM, that did not work.
so after that I boot up the VM and run sysprep.
shut down, Export the VM and than re-import the VM as new copy
but remember it was MS Hyper-V not proxmox. I do not run windows on proxmox as yet. maybe when I get my home server up and running I might try that but I have very little use for windows in VM at home.

Normaly you need sysprep. We create us vmtemplates with that. Then i can clone so much win10 i would like.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!