Apt dependency Problems

adoII

Renowned Member
Jan 28, 2010
Hi there,

I have a Proxmox Cluster Version 5.0.32 running ceph luminous 12.2

Now I have a problem with apt dependencies.
When I try: apt-get install pve-qemu-kvm i get the error:
pve-qemu-kvm : Depends: libsnappy1v5 but it is not going to be installed

Okay but when i try to install libsnappy1v5 i get very nervous:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
ceph ceph-base ceph-common ceph-mgr ceph-mon ceph-osd libleveldb1 libsnappy1
proxmox-ve pve-container pve-ha-manager pve-manager pve-qemu-kvm qemu-server
spiceterm

Needless to say: If I would install libsnappy1v5 i will run into big trouble because I need all those packages apt wants to remove.

How shoud I solve this dependency Problem ? Is pve-qemu-kvm needed in proxmox 5 ?

2 things in my Proxmox environment are not as usual:
1) I upgraded to Proxmox 5 from Proxmox 4 at runtime by First upgrading debian and then updating proxmox
2) I use the original Ceph Packages from Ceph.com instead of Proxmox Ceph packages

Also I attach pveversion output:
Code:
proxmox-ve: 5.0-23 (running kernel: 4.10.17-2-pve)
pve-manager: 5.0-32 (running version: 5.0-32/2560e073)
pve-kernel-4.10.17-3-pve: 4.10.17-23
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-6
lvm2: 2.02.168-pve3
corosync: 2.4.2-pve3
libqb0: 1.0.1-1
pve-cluster: 5.0-14
qemu-server: 5.0-15
pve-firmware: 2.0-2
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-18
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-12
libpve-access-control: 5.0-6
libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-15
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3
vncterm: 1.5-2
pve-docs: 5.0-9
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.9.0-4
pve-container: 2.0-16
pve-firewall: 3.0-3
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2
glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1
lxc-pve: 2.1.0-2
lxcfs: 2.0.7-pve4
criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
novnc-pve: 0.6-4
smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.6.5.11-pve17~bpo90
ceph: 12.2.1-1~bpo80+1

Hi adoll!

Did you change anything at your apt repos? Can you show me your sources.list and your sources.list.d folder.

Hello,
yes, I am using repos from ceph.com and for now I am not willing to change original and up to date ceph packages back to older versions compiled by proxmox staff.
Also I do not see a good reason to package a custom build ceph with proxmox. This made sense before ceph released the official Luminous version, but now ? I hope this will be changed one day.

Hello,
yes, I am using repos from ceph.com and for now I am not willing to change original and up to date ceph packages back to older versions compiled by proxmox staff.
Also I do not see a good reason to package a custom build ceph with proxmox. This made sense before ceph released the official Luminous version, but now ? I hope this will be changed one day.
first, you do not only have the ceph packages from ceph.com (which is not supported by us), but also the jessie versions and not the stretch ones
(see the bpo80)

the reason why we do our own ceph packaging is (among other reasons) that there are some thing we enable that the ceph.com packages do not have
(e.g., we enable some systemd units) also, this makes it possible for us to backport patches without waiting for ceph.com to do this

also the packages on ceph.com are not qa tested on debian (only on centos and ubuntu)
quote from the 12.2.0 release notes
Release packages are now being built for Debian Stretch. Note
that QA is limited to CentOS and Ubuntu (xenial and trusty). The
distributions we build for now include:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!