HDD Setup + Image-Type

drdownload

Sep 7, 2017
I'm right now in process of migrating my Homeserver which is right now running Openmediavault to a shared Server setup with Proxmox. (Server is a 12 Slot 19" Rack with 15 HDDs and an i5 6500 with 32GB RAM

I intend to run the following VMs:
  • Openmediavault (main storage with mergerfs and nfs shares back to proxmox)
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows 10 for Gaming (with 1050 Ti Passthrough)
  • Antegos with GNOME3 for "local" File-Management etc.
Following HDDs are available:
  • S3500 SSD with 480 GB
  • 128 GB SSD
  • 2 320 GB 2.5"
  • 1 500 GB 2.5"
  • Lots of 3.5" SATA for OMV merger FS
I'm looking for a good setup where to place proxmox, VMs etc. and how to partition. I've read a lot of different options.

I would do as "kotakomputer" suggested with maybe a little adjustments ,
like :
use 2x 320 ssd for Boot/OS install in RAID-1 (in fact unless you against ZFS I would use the ZFS raid-1 option as Proxmox ve 4.3 and up supports it right from the installer. )
I would add the 128GB to the mix and partition it in half.
64GB for SWAP that is double the RAM size.
and 64 GB for cache and active folders like /tmp and such.
I would move all the cache and temp folders to it from the OS.
this will prolong the life of boot drives. if you had 2 small ssds I would flip that around but as it is, it will work.

the 3.5 drives are as they were,
and the 2 remaining 480 and 500 ? well , if you go with ZFS, you can maybe use them as write cache for your data drives. I am not sure how to do that but I read that it was possible when you running ZFS pools.

PS, I am interested more in how will you connect the data drives to OMV VM.
I have been planning to rebuild my server in the same fashion to introduce Proxmox as main host, but have been uncertain on how to connect the data drives properly.
my setup is simpler as I only have 2 SSD for OS and plan to use ZFS raid-1
but I also have a mix set of 3.5 drives ranging from 1TB to 3TB that are currently using BTRFS under OMV
with Snapraid + MergerFS.

Funny: I would have thought that most would recommend the following (esp. regarding the big SSD):

System: 2x 320GB RAID 2,5"

VMs: 1x 480GB SSD
VM Backup 1x500GB 2,5"

Data-Drives just leave it

Cache: 128GB SSD

Regarding OMV: I plan to passthrough the Data-Drives to proxmox and use them as now.

Export an NFS share from OMV and add it als Drive to Proxmox.

that is an option too.
I am not really sure if you need to put VMs on SSD, most VMs run just fine on spinners, but if you have it why not.
as for backup , if you think you have enough space on 500GB, it is a good choice, but you will need a secondary backup as well, just in case.

as for OMV, do you know what is the limit of drives you can pass-through to VM ?

I think is is like 6xSATA
and 10 or 12 for SCSI

unless you passing through the whole controller.

Exactly: I have only 2 data-drives connected to onboard ports and for the rest I intent to passthrough the controllers

Since I want to use the Windows VM for gaming and 2 servers I assumed the SSD woulld be great for that..

oh and I forgot: I will built a second node with an ATOM J3060 itx board. This node will run primarly my FHEM Home automation and provide backup storage for my images. I intend to backup/clone the FHEM VM to the main Proxmox to have a backup.

FHEM is my only real ha application.

PS: Right now my FHEM runs on an old Netbook.

I started with adding a 320GB 2.5" drive. Installed proxmox as zfs raid0 on it.

After that I tried to install an VM with Windows 10. However everything is suuuuuuperslow. Just to start the installer takes 15 min.

So after some juggling I will reduce to the following setup (targeting a as low as possible power consumption.:

32 GB SSD for Proxmox
480 GB Intel SSD for VMs
500 GB 2.5" HDD for Data

80,250,320 GB 2." HDD thrown out.

All 3.5" drives passed through to OMV.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!