[SOLVED] ZFS Performance Tuning

I have MythTV set up so that all temporary LiveTV buffers go to a dedicated 128GB Samsung 850. These are automatically erased by MythTV after 24 hours(or when space is needed), unless someone presses "record" while watching live, in which case they stay there. I have a cronjob that checks for video files older than 24 hours every night at 4 and moves them to the main 1TB scheduled recording SSD.

I know this is an old thread, but...

I have a virtualised environment at home. I'm running KVM and I have a MythTV Backend running on it. I'm now coming back into the Proxmox fold after using KVM for a couple of years. Do you run your MythTV VM as a full VM or a LXC container on Proxmox? Any recommendations either way?

I know this is an old thread, but...

I have a virtualised environment at home. I'm running KVM and I have a MythTV Backend running on it. I'm now coming back into the Proxmox fold after using KVM for a couple of years. Do you run your MythTV VM as a full VM or a LXC container on Proxmox? Any recommendations either way?

I originally started with MythTV as a VM under ESXi. When I transitioned to Proxmox with its KVM and LXC options, I quickly realized how much I could save in the way of resources by going with a container instead of a full VM. Disk space savings are probably the biggest since you don't need an image file, but the one that made the most difference to me was RAM. Even now that I have 192GB of RAM, RAM is my most precious resource, especially since the ZFS ARC likes using so much of it.

I wound up going the LXC route, for several reasons, RAM efficiency as noted above probably being the foremost, but the fact that native passthrough of disk access to my ZFS pool was possible without the inefficiency of fake network shares was also a big deal.

It's not perfect. I honestly can't remember how I originally set it up, but I think what I did was follow a guide on how to convert a VM disk file to an LXC container to convert my old MythBuntu install to an LXC container. MythBuntu no longer exists (and as a result I don't know what the best practice for installing MythTV is these days) so that may not be the way to go. In my container conversion, I was never able to get auto-start of the backend on boot to work, but everything else does, so I just start it manually every time I restart the MythTV container.

I'll poke around my old files and try to remind myself how I set it up and see what I find. My MythTV is still running at 0.27 in an older 14.04LTS Mythtbuntu install, so it is not the newest...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!