DRBD9 for Proxmox 5

geortsir3

Jun 26, 2017
Greece
Hello,

Two days ago, linbit made separate DRBD9 repository for Proxmox 5.
I try to make DRBD9 cluster but doesnt work. Nodes can not add themselves in cluster.
I follow all the instructions but cant do it.
DRBD9 repository has drbd-dkms package which means that i have to download same version pve-headers with kernel release. I use pve no subscription repository.
I test them in qemu Virtual Machines. Is there someone who can help me? Has someone tried, make a virtual infrastructure for testing?

Thank you!

Hi,
as you wrote that are repository are form Linbit.
Please contact Linbit about problem with this plugin.

They made the mistake to change license, but they have reverted their decision after a short amount of time but Proxmox never reconsidered DRBD9.
As far as I know, drbd9 is the only way you could have a 2 storage node + 1 quorum node cluster, reducing a lot the cost of a HA solution.
Also DRBD9 with 2 nodes looks far simpler/easier to manage than a 3 node ceph with osd, monitors etc..
I think that DRBD9 brings to Proxmox much more advantages than Proxmox brings to Linbit, so I think they will never support properly proxmox.
Any chance Proxmox will bring back DRBD9 technology for our poor that need very small (and ceaph) deployment of some sort of "redundancy"?
Thanks in advance

Hello,

Two days ago, linbit made separate DRBD9 repository for Proxmox 5.
I try to make DRBD9 cluster but doesnt work. Nodes can not add themselves in cluster.
I follow all the instructions but cant do it.
DRBD9 repository has drbd-dkms package which means that i have to download same version pve-headers with kernel release. I use pve no subscription repository.
I test them in qemu Virtual Machines. Is there someone who can help me? Has someone tried, make a virtual infrastructure for testing?

Thank you!

I'm intrested in this and would like to give it a try. Do have the links for documentation and repo?

I've searched on Google but cant seem to find anything.

The chance of bringing it back is practically zero. Ceph is the future and the devs know it.
Your comments does not make sense, DRBD9 has other case scenario where it is Practically better, reliable and cost effective solution, while Ceph has strict requirements, which makes it harder to implement in some cases.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!