ZFS is causing ARC_Prune storms.

Aug 1, 2017
How can I upgrade ZFS in my Proxmox install?

Does anyone have upgrade instructions somewhere? The wiki seems to not cover this.
I need to install ZFS version 0.7 or newer.
Proxmox v5 ships with ZFS version 0.6.5.9-1.

Someone has logged a defect with the exact problem I have, on the ZFS ON LINUX github repo. I believe the solution is to simply upgrade ZFS to the latest version and do some tuning.
- g/i/t/h/u/b/.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/6630

My server has an incredibly high load of above 400 when this occurs. The only thing I can do, is to reboot.

The problem is caused by using KVM VM's on the mounted ZFS pool.

Any hints much appreciated!!!

Thanks for pointing to the discussion held on upgrading the ZFS and Kernel versions.

I have now raised a Proxmox bug on the issue. I guess I've exhausted my options for now, and all I can do is wait.

What is the fastest way I can get the latest ZFS and SPF builds for Proxmox?
Wait for them to appear in Proxmox Testing repos?
Wait for a new Proxmox release?

PVE 5 is on ZFS 0.6.5.11 btw. 0.7 will still take a bit until test packages are available, and then a bit more until they are included in the regular repositories. if you check the forums regularly, you will not miss when 0.7 is available ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!