Proxmox and libvirt differences

kokoticek

Jun 7, 2010
Hello.

I have been using Proxmox since a while already, but I have been also a Linux desktop user.
I noticed I still use some few Windows stuff sometimes for my particular case, not just at the office where the Proxmox server is, so I thought about giving a try to KVM as well in the desktop PC and trying to install a Windows 10 virtual guest.

I have used some few Linux distributions already, such as Ubuntu, openSUSE, Debian... currently using Fedora. Here I noticed the KVM suite to install is libvirt-based, and seemingly just like all the other distributions.

Reading some libvirt docs I understood it's kind of a "wrapper" for qemu itself with GUI included, which made me feel a bit better. Since I'm already quite used to Proxmox I thought about creating the VM in libvirt just like in Proxmox.
But "joy" didn't last long, as I immediately noticed differences and limitations in libvirt. Most important ones -the ones that come to my mind now-:
--default storage format is qcow2 instead of raw (though one can certainly select raw instead)
--in RAM section there are 2 fields, current and maximum memory, but I'm not sure because nowhere it says whether VM will certainly use automatic memory ballooning given one provides the virtio balloon drivers...
--there's seemingly no option for setting VM's RTC to local or UTC
--not sure how to make backups... probably the compressed format .vma.lzo is a Proxmox-only feature? I can't find compression options for snapshots in libvirt (and I think qcow2 doesn't even support them?)

As for the "missing" options they can probably be done through qemu command line, but although I'm willing to learn more about the command line in Linux in general and get used to it, the qemu console still looks imponent for me, not to mention Proxmox and libvirt commands differ! In first one it's qm [...] and in the later it's qemu [...] !!

Apologizing beforehand for the actual offtopic nature of the thread, could someone help with this libvirt issues, please? Given there's people here knowledgable in libvirt...

Thanks beforehand.

Please no messages without content.

For libvirt questions you should better ask in a libvirt community, Proxmox VE does not use libvirt as we have a much easier to use toolkit instead.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!