NVMe Boot Drive

cyclones

May 12, 2009
Just received a new server that we are using to test NVMe driver performance implications for our environment. Got Ubuntu 14.04 install with no problems for an initial burn-in and testing.

Now we want to put in our Proxmox Ve lab to examine VM performance, but the 3.4 installer seems to fail when trying to partition the disk. The installer recognizes the Intel DC P3700 AIO drive, but once the installer finishes asking for input and starts to run it fails.

We've always been able to use the default installer before, but are willing to try path of installing Debian first and then installing Proxmox on top of that. If we went that route, we would want to start with a 7.8 image, right?

Anyone else tried this yet and had any luck, either with the default installer or installing Debian first?

Hi,

I haven't try it with NVMe.
But if you make a Debian installation, 7.8 image is the correct one.

I found the problem NVMe is supported since kernel 3.3 the pve iso includes the 2.6 kernel.
this means if you want use NVMe with pve, you must take the 3.10 kernel what do not support OpenVz.

I found the problem NVMe is supported since kernel 3.3 the pve iso includes the 2.6 kernel.
this means if you want use NVMe with pve, you must take the 3.10 kernel what do not support OpenVz.
does PVE4.4.8 of now support NVMe as boot drive?

Proxmox 4.2 (with pve-kernel 4.4.8-1) does support NVMe devices as boot drive, if your motherboard/chipset/NVMe combination supports it.

Proxmox 4.2 (with pve-kernel 4.4.8-1) does support NVMe devices as boot drive, if your motherboard/chipset/NVMe combination supports it.
Fabian, thank you!
What signs to seek for?
Or, what signs are for negative?

I would check your main boards support documentation and compatibility lists, if those are not conclusive try contacting the vendor and ask about specific nvme devices and boot support (or look for reports by other users that have similar/identical hardware).

Hello,

IBM X3100M4 does not come with standard BIOS support to boot into PCIe NVMe. If drive-sata is placed on the /boot partition, will it be possible to install proxmox 4.x on this server?

Any tips on how to do this?

thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!