LVM VM migration path to new installation

lildergs

Jul 7, 2017
Hi all,

Currently my setup is:
m.2 SSD with Proxmox install
SATA SSD with LVM VMs

I want to reinstall Proxmox over ZFS and am wondering how to move over my VMs.

Is it as simple as backing up to external media using the built in backup function and then restoring?

Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks!

Hi,

if your VM/CT data are all on the SATA SSD and you will install PVE on the m2 disk, you can backup the config files and reinstall.

The installer only will write to disk which you select in the installer. All other disks stay untouched.

the VM/CT config are here
/etc/pve/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf
/etc/pve/lxc/<vmid>.conf

Perhaps I wasn't clear -- I am doing away with the m.2 & SATA SSD and want to completely move over to a system with ZFS underneath for both the OS and and VMs.

My new PVE system would have just the ZFS pool for the FS and none of the existing storage mounted.

Thank you.

Yes then backup and restore is the simplest way.

Hi,

Update on this --

I backed up to an external hard drive.

Once I reinstalled Proxmox on new hardware when I restored it was still asking for the disk images on the old drive.

I went ahead and connected the old disk and I was able to run the restores.

Did I do something wrong? I was expecting everything to be backed up to the external drive I connected. Instead, it seemed like the backed up configs were still configured to look a the disks on the previous storage.

I am needing to migrate to a new installation again and want to be sure I can backup the entire VM (config + RAW disks) to an external drive and restore without any of the original disks.

Thanks,

Christian

May be you talk about cd iso from the VM this are not backed up or you set a disk on no backup.

Container MP(not rootfs) are default set no backup

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!