SuperMicro H8SGL-F Motherboard

I finally got V 4.4 to load ... but V 5.0 Beta1 / Beta2 absolutely will not load ... 3 Super Micro H8SGL-F motherboards with latest bios 3.5b will not load either of the V 5.0 versions ... multiple methods CD, USB etc. And Super Micro couldn't care less!

I am going to try to upgrade these 3 servers to V 4.4 ... deal with V 5 down the road. V 5 appears (to me, at least) to be broken. These servers load Debian, etc CDs ... XEN OK I cannot afford to replace servers every time CDs won't load! And building Proxmox on top of Debian Jessie is very time consuming. Thanks for any help or input!

Last edited:
Hi, umm, footnote. "Building Proxmox on top of Jessie is time consuming" - maybe the first time, it takes longer than a pure appliance install, but it is still <1 hour of effort. If you follow the hints, carefully, as per wiki: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie - ie, in particular, regarding how to do LVM layout in anticipation of proxmox being installed 'soon'.

I regularly do 'proxmox on jessie' and it is a piece of cake really, just the first time you have to bang your head against the docs and actually read them, and then it is fairly workable :)

Just my two cents!

:)

Tim

(and footnote - if you can get Debian-Jessie stock to install, then maybe you just need to figure out what kernel boot parameters are different between the DebJes install and the ProxAppliance install; and then try to pass suitably tweaked parameters to the proxmox appliance installer ? although I am guessing this will take ~as long as just doing DebJesThenProxmoxInstall :)

Reactions: kjameson
Hi, umm, footnote. "Building Proxmox on top of Jessie is time consuming" - maybe the first time, it takes longer than a pure appliance install, but it is still <1 hour of effort. If you follow the hints, carefully, as per wiki: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie - ie, in particular, regarding how to do LVM layout in anticipation of proxmox being installed 'soon'.

I regularly do 'proxmox on jessie' and it is a piece of cake really, just the first time you have to bang your head against the docs and actually read them, and then it is fairly workable :)

Just my two cents!

:)

Tim

(and footnote - if you can get Debian-Jessie stock to install, then maybe you just need to figure out what kernel boot parameters are different between the DebJes install and the ProxAppliance install; and then try to pass suitably tweaked parameters to the proxmox appliance installer ? although I am guessing this will take ~as long as just doing DebJesThenProxmoxInstall :)

Thanks for your response ... using ZFS? ... love my ZFS RAID 10 ... is there a procedure for ZFS / Proxmox over Jessie ... don't think V 5 is quite ready, yet ... I might work on Debian / ZFS / Proxmox in the meantime! I have 4 H8GSGL-F boards ... they all seem to respond differently ...1 requires an external video card! Runs perfectly after that! Go figure!

Last edited:
Hi, it is good question. I haven't done ZFS with proxmox other than basic test appliance based (simple mirror disk set) install ~last year on a throwaway test box. Quick google, I find discussion-howtos such as, https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian-Jessie-Root-on-ZFS which appear to do a decent? walkthrough on -- how to do a clean install debian with ZFS root filesystem. Not sure if this is accurate / reliable / or maybe there are other better similar walkthroughs. End of the day I think you want to have suitable LVM in place on top of <Linux SW Raid> or <ZFS 'raid'> suitable to anticipate the arrival of proxmox shortly after ... as per the proxmox install on debian wiki article linked earlier.

Tim

Hi, to clarify,

- the boards boot fine from stock debian media
- do you know (precisely) what boot options are passed to the kernel, for a viable boot from debian ?
- have you tried the (precisely) same boot options on the proxmox boot loader ?

Tim

I have backed off a bit ... 2 of the four boards are on line ... being used ... one of the remaining boards requires an external video card in order to load ... so may options ... not sure that I've tried all possible choices ... once the CD loads it's rock solid! Gonna' try usb ... sure I've already tried that, but ... I know these boards are older ... but the Opterons are "bad to the bone" ... and cheap! A/C failed in our server room tonight ... been occupied ... re-grouping!

Never taken an ISO apart before ... something in these isos is preventing these bioses from booting ... I want 4 - 2T drives, but I have tried to boot with 160G's ... same deal ... several different copies of the 4.4 / 5.x isos ... looking to boot every time ... in case of 100% system fail, I'd have to boot off a USB / CD ... already sent 1 board back to Newegg ... SuperMicro is 100% no help!

Thanks for all the help, people!

You may try do the trick with IPMI BMC feature, that allow you to mount ISO image as CD/DVD drive and boot from it.

Just 07/04/2017 found out that Proxmox Version 5.0 has been released. Built a (freshly formatted) USB with 5.0 and it loaded 5 times in a row without failure ... then burned a CD with Version 5.0 ... loaded to Proxmox 5.0 screen 5 times in a row without a failure. Must not have been me ... or the CD player, or the motherboard, or the cpu, or the motherboard ... or even worse ... cockpit trouble. Thrilled beyond measure that this is resolved! On top of that, Proxmox 5.0 looks really slick! Can't wait to reload my Version 3.4 tonight ... Version 5.0 on July 5.0, 2017 ... get it? Thanks, Proxmox Team!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!