Migration of Windows Server 2003 from VMWare...

jmar83

Nov 26, 2015
CH
www.cannabislegal.xyz
Hi there

1.) I can't create a hardisk from an EXISTING cow2 file in the current version...?

2.) I get a bluescreen 0x0000007B when i try to start. i 've done that steps:

Enable IDE

• Start the Windows virtual machine on VMware and execute the ....... Now the registry is changed that your Windows can boot from IDE, necessary for KVM.
  • Make sure Atapi.sys, Intelide.sys, Pciide.sys, and Pciidex.sys are in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder. If any are missing they can be extracted from %SystemRoot%\Driver Cache\I386\Driver.cab which can be opened in Windows file Exlorer like a directory and then the missing files can be copied out.

• ...and the problem described in M$ KB Artcle occurs, but what is the solution for...? so i read in M$ KB Article, the only way is to reinstall/repair it with miniports drivers (pressing F6 when installation begin)...?

so there is no migration from vmware 2 to current proxmox version possible?

windows server 2008 r2 was migrated without any problems.

Regards, Jan

Last edited:
Hi Jan, just a footnote on this thread, for what it is worth - I've moved plenty of 2003 VMs / various VMs from VMware to proxmox. It certainly can work. The problem you describe - seems that either the IDE driver wasn't integrated cleanly into the guest VM - or some other problem ? With VMware for example as the source, it is important to uninstall the VMware tools inside the guest VM before powering it off the last time on VMware side of things. Else you bring over a VM with VMware tools installed / and it is not the best fit for the new proxmox environment...

Sometimes it is possible to do 'windows recovery' inside the VM at boot time and get this resolved. Other times - as you noted - it is just faster to do a clean install of the OS and start fresh.

T

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!