Proxmox BACKUP is generating Corrupted IMAGES, can not restore

afrugone

Renowned Member
Nov 26, 2008
I had a problem with the backup system, a running windows 2012 server, has been backed up many times, now I need to restore the backup, but all backups are generating corrupted images.

When I start the restored VM, windows enter in Auto Repair process but it didn't succeed. As I can't boot the server I tried to attach the VM image to another Windows 2012 VM, I can see the drive, but is corrupted."the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable"

I run chkdsk and recover only a small part of my files.

The image file looks OK, but windows NOT

qemu-img check vm-113-disk-1.qcow2
No errors were found on the image.
4194304/4194304 = 100.00% allocated, 0.00% fragmented, 0.00% compressed clusters
Image end offset: 274920112128

proxmox-ve: 4.4-76 (running kernel: 4.4.35-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.4-1 (running version: 4.4-1/eb2d6f1e)

Anybody had the same problem? I need urgently to at least recover some files, I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll apreciate if somebody hava an experience with this, I need to recover the programs developed in that VM

Thanks

Question to support staff. I I buy the support, do you think this problem can be fixed?

Finaly I could recover my Files, What i did?

I restored the not working VM, then i Attached the image file to other VM, running a Disk Data Recovery tool I recovered all my Files, (the chkdsk is not useful, can not recover my files)

Now I have to Repair the SQL Server Database Files to recover my StoreProcedures, but this is not very dificult.

Anyway I think that the Proxmox Backup system has a problem, I don't know what happened.

Finaly I could recover my Files, What i did?

I restored the not working VM, then i Attached the image file to other VM, running a Disk Data Recovery tool I recovered all my Files, (the chkdsk is not useful, can not recover my files)

Now I have to Repair the SQL Server Database Files to recover my StoreProcedures, but this is not very dificult.

Anyway I think that the Proxmox Backup system has a problem, I don't know what happened.

Some details on your setup would be helpful. Is this LVM storage with raw disks? If it is, are you properly stopping your SQL Server Database when doing a backup to ensure no issues like you are seeing?

Some details on your setup would be helpful. Is this LVM storage with raw disks? If it is, are you properly stopping your SQL Server Database when doing a backup to ensure no issues like you are seeing?
Thanks for your answer, My storage is NTFS using qcow2, virtio drivers. I've three other VM in same configuration without any problem. These Backups are totaly broken, first I can't recover VM from restore, so I tried to recover files, but only few files were recovered using chkdsk, so I try with other tools, can recover more files, but most of them are incomplete.
The backup system never gives me any error, all seem to be working.
Backups are in snapshot mode.
If yoiu have any idea, I'll appreciate very much

Thanks

would you mind trying to backup/restore a Linux based VM?
I have a sneaky suspicion that it might be the Windows 2012 issue not exactly Proxmox backup issue.

I have very similar experience on my Hyper-V setup.
something in the way the VM is restored triggers win2012 to go into failed/recovery mode that you can not get out of.
and the disk is not corrupt but maybe encrypted?

All other backup are working without any problem, including other Windows 2012.

I dont have any idea if the disk is encrypted, could be, but I was able to recover some files with a simple CHKDSK and partially recover other files using Minitool Power Data recovery, but files are not complete.

I can lost my job for this, so if somebody culd help me I'll appreciate very much

I never recovered my corrupted VM, but now I know what's happened.

Never, Never use NFS and Snapshots, this could corrupt your VM and you will not noticed it until you reboot the VM, in my case the VM was running for 6 month until a reboot, and all backups we did were corrupted as the Running VM.

Use iSCSI or local disk, Never use NFS if you want to make snapshots, I'm not sure if backup with snapshots can produce the same problem, but better don't try.

Never, Never use NFS and Snapshots, this could corrupt your VM
I've read about some similar things... look like a bug between KVM and NFS? Or... i don't know. Maybe some "Proxmox Staff Member" can annotate this problem. How we can prevent of this problem?

Thanks a lot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!