Another 2 issues

kokoticek

Jun 7, 2010
Hello again.
Using latest 4.4 stable.

1) when connecting USB storage device to physical Proxmox PC, is there way to handle it all from GUI, or only way is indeed handling from command line by mounting and stuff? Also, I already read if USB drive is NTFS format I need to install ntfs-g3 package. But here they have no paid support, neither want to enable the "experimental" repo -they already read the stuff, for my bad luck- for installing packages. Is there another way to install ntfs-3g?

2) I was reading about general device passthrough with kvm/qemu, and wanted to try it as well in another PC with Debian or another distribution with kvm/qemu installed. But I was let down by this:
https://wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
"You forcibly need *two* GPUs, and Nvidia's Optimus system on laptops *won't work*". Has it been always like this for all devices in general? I thought if one had just one device (say, one GPU), one could still passthrough it, temporarily leaving host in kind of a "standby" state or something. Also, given that Optimus systems use both integrated and dedicated GPUs, I was surprised they say "no work!"

Thanks again.

Hello again.
Using latest 4.4 stable.

1) when connecting USB storage device to physical Proxmox PC, is there way to handle it all from GUI, or only way is indeed handling from command line by mounting and stuff? Also, I already read if USB drive is NTFS format I need to install ntfs-g3 package. But here they have no paid support, neither want to enable the "experimental" repo -they already read the stuff, for my bad luck- for installing packages. Is there another way to install ntfs-3g?

2) I was reading about general device passthrough with kvm/qemu, and wanted to try it as well in another PC with Debian or another distribution with kvm/qemu installed. But I was let down by this:
https://wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
"You forcibly need *two* GPUs, and Nvidia's Optimus system on laptops *won't work*". Has it been always like this for all devices in general? I thought if one had just one device (say, one GPU), one could still passthrough it, temporarily leaving host in kind of a "standby" state or something. Also, given that Optimus systems use both integrated and dedicated GPUs, I was surprised they say "no work!"

Thanks again.

to 1):

no there is currently no way to mount an external drive from the gui, this has to be done via the commandline
ntfs-3g has nothing to do with our repositories because this is in the debian repos

to 2):

with gpu passthrough the problem is that
1. the host can not use the graphics card if the vm wants to use it
2. the output comes from the gpu itself (so for example the hdmi output on the gpu) -> this makes optimus generally unusable with passthrough, because it depends on the laptop manufacturer how the gpus are wired, and most use some kind of driver/shared framebuffer for the output of the stronger gpu

there are some effort to pass through the intel integrated gpu, but afaik this only works with a kernel >4.8

add your mounted folder as a new directory storage, and enable "VZDump Backup file" under contents (in the gui under Datacenter->Storage->Add->Directory)
then you can choose this storage as target for your backups

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!