Any chance of a backported xfsprogs?

danmac

Dec 6, 2016
Hi there :)

I'm on Proxmox 4.4 and noticed that the xfsprogs version is 3.2.1 ie. the standard Debian release.

This causes problems when running the 4.4 kernel. More details here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1314605 but basically on PVE right now running xfs_repair renders a filesystem unmountable.

Any chance of adding a backport to the repo? (and maybe xfsdump too, although I don't use that)

Cheers :)

I suggest you do a bug report to Debian Jessie.

I'm not sure this is a Debian bug, I got the feeling it was because of the 4.4 kernel in PVE. (ie. mismatch between XFS in 4.4 kernel and the associated support tools built for 3.16 kernel?)

I will have to look into it some more, as the filesystem in question was not created on PVE and that could be the cause. If Debian Jessie can create, repair and subsequently remount an XFS filesystem successfully, but PVE cannot, would you consider it worthy of a backport?

If anyone else has this problem, 16.04 Ubuntu (with 4.4 kernel) xfs_repair will make the filesystem mountable again.

Thanks for your attention on a Sunday no less :) Maybe testing the behavior of Jessie standard can wait until tomorrow ;)

Just to note, Debian Stretch based Proxmox VE 5.0 beta is already available.

hehe mmmmm - would be one way of solving it ;) I had the same thought, 4.9 kernel 4.9 xfsprogs right? Was waiting until Stretch release (can't be long now) but I do know it's already solid.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!