Backup / Snapshot proxmox host installation

Phlogi

Jul 21, 2015
Do you snapshot your root install (if on zfs) regularly for update-safety reasons for example?

Is it enough to just run zfs snapshot rpool/ROOT@im-scared-of-dist-upgrade ? So that in case of a failed update I could boot with another live linux (with zfs support) and simply roll back the install?

Hi, with 5.0 beta released the question for ProxMox host backup has become even more relevant :). I saw some topics in the forum discussing the backup of particular files, but my question is why bother if you use ZFS anyway. I have customized scripts here and there (I know its a bad practise, but...) so I am not sure I will be able to restore everything correctly.
I am also wondering if snapshoting the root folder will be enough to restore the system? I am not sure if the bootloader will be part of the backup as well?
Any suggestions or experience to share?

You're right. It's enough backing up /rpool (mounts to /:
rpool on /rpool type zfs (rw,noatime,xattr,noacl) on my system), however just make sure you have a USB stick with ZFS support to be able to restore a snapshot, etc. in case you can't boot anymore. The arch linux one works very well for me, or a proxmox install disk.

The bootloader is not insde /rpoo, its seperate. I'm running a mirror /rpool so I used the following dd command to copy the bootloader from one drive to another (e.g. before a replacement if one drive fails):
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdd1 of=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SanDisk_.....-part1 bs=2M conv=noerror,sync

For snapshotting, etc. I use the excellent znapzend from https://github.com/oetiker/znapzend.

I hope that helps.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!