If supported, how configure kvm virtfs ?

Rudy

Feb 25, 2012
Hello,

Since I would like to directly mount folders in a kvm, I would like to know if virtfs is supported by proxmox ?
If it is supported, how can I configure it ?
I manage to bind local folder with ct (openvz) by using {VID}.mount/.umount file ...

I thank you by advance,
Regards,
Rudy

Since I would like to directly mount folders in a kvm, I would like to know if virtfs is supported by proxmox ?

The kvm binary support virtfs, but we have not done any tests with that feature so far.

Dear Dietmar,

Thank your for your reply.

Based on http://nixos.org/wiki/QEMU_guest_with_networking_and_virtfs and by using the 'args' setting in the vm conf file
args: -virtfs local,path=/media/share,security_model=passthrough,mount_tag=host_share

I manage to mount it in a ubuntu 11.04 (x86) guest by using mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio host_share /mnt/host_share -oversion=9p2000.L but I have some problem when I try to mount in a debian squeeze 6.0.4 (x64) guest ... " can't read superblock" ... (don't know why ...)

Regards,
Rudy

The kvm binary support virtfs, but we have not done any tests with that feature so far.

Any plans on enabling the virtio-9p-pci for kvm binary to make this work?
Code:
root@fatboy ~ # kvm -version
QEMU emulator version 1.4.2, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
root@fatboy ~ # kvm -device help 2>&1 | grep -i 9p
root@fatboy ~ # kvm -device help 2>&1 | grep -i virtio
name "virtio-blk-pci", bus PCI, alias "virtio-blk"
name "virtserialport", bus virtio-serial-bus
name "virtconsole", bus virtio-serial-bus
name "virtio-serial-pci", bus PCI, alias "virtio-serial"
name "virtio-rng-pci", bus PCI
name "virtio-net-pci", bus PCI, alias "virtio-net"
name "virtio-scsi-pci", bus PCI
name "virtio-balloon-pci", bus PCI, alias "virtio-balloon"
root@fatboy ~ #

I used the guideline from the CoreOS documentation site to mount folder to a VM. The command is:
-fsdev local,id=conf,security_model=none,readonly,path=/tmp/config-2 -device virtio-9p-pci,fsdev=conf,mount_tag=config-2
It works with no problem on latest ProxMox 4.4

I have some problem when I try to mount in a debian squeeze 6.0.4 (x64) guest ... " can't read superblock" ... (don't know why ...)

Probably too old. Squeeze is oldoldstable, please update to the newest version Debian Jessie 8 or try out Debian Stretch 9.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!