Append/postfix args? How to issue command line argument to QEMU AFTER devices have been specified?

Pegasus

Aug 29, 2013
California, USA
Hello everyone.

I have a situation in one of my VMs that requires disabling MSI-X in order to use the Virtio network device. I only need to add the flag -set device.eth0.vectors=0 to Args but it must come after the flags that define the network devices (net0 in my case) otherwise I just get the error that net0 doesn't exist. Apparently the Args: parameter goes before everything else in the VM's .conf file.

Is there any way to do this?

Please file a feature request at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/
Although I'm not sure whether it's better to add an additional option or just move args to the end, considering conflicting args will break either way and I currently can't remember any good use case for which `args` need to come first.

Unless/until later we can append the args directly to the net0 line, try:

Record your existing net0 MAC address if you wish to duplicate the interface; else prepare a new MAC;
Remove the net0 device from the VM's hardware config;
and the following args line to your VM's config file with the corrected MAC address:

Code:
args: -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=net0,mac=FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF,vectors=0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!