drbdmanage license change

Would be possible to create a LINBIT's DRBD8 repository for Proxmox?

That would be great.

AFAIK DRBD9 is not stable yet.

Would be possible to create a LINBIT's DRBD8 repository for Proxmox?
Please read this thread, especially this answer from Linbit:
---> "Not publicly available from LINBIT."

You can get the packages for Debian Jessie here and they work also in my setup with Proxmox 4.4. I supported the Proxmox extensions of the DKMS package.

In the mentioned tread above, you will find also a discussion about my Proxmox DRBD8 Storage plugin. Maybe
it is useful for you. I have currently no no time to improve the description in the GIT repo, due to my vacation, but in that thread I added a lot how it works.

Last edited:
I have used DRBD9 in the past (finally more than 2 nodes!) and it works very well, but I would bet that for the sake of simplicity, Ceph will continue to dominate their attention. The GPL deal might have been the final tip off the ledge.

I talked to proxmox support and was told they are not going to add drbd to the proxmox repository again.

I also contacted linbit about possible business support for drbd with proxmox. That was two weeks ago, no reply yet. Only the sales contact told us he (re-)forwarded our question to the technical department.

Without support from either company the risk of the cluster breaking on some future upgrade is just too high, even if everything worked fine now (which it didnd't for us: on our first experimental try we had difficulties getting a fresh proxmox 4.4 3-Node Cluster with drbd9 to work properly.).
We are currently looking into ceph as an alternative (trying to find a setup without multiplying our hosting budget).

Hi,
that's sad!

Udo

As long as Linbit it unable to support their own products, its impossible for others like Proxmox to support anything. So if you complain about DRBD, sent the emails to Linbit.

Reactions: jeffwadsworth
As long as Linbit it unable to support their own products, its impossible for others like Proxmox to support anything. So if you complain about DRBD, sent the emails to Linbit.

We (or at least I) are not complaining about DRBD its far better than CEPH at least for low requirement use cases (which you obviously dont want to support). We are complaining about :
1-Linbit's really inmature choice of leaving GPL and then resumin it. Not serius thing..
2-Proxmox's inmature attitude of not resuming DRBD integration as it did in previous years.(dont have a reason for not doing it)

We dont care if you guys dont like each other, we are a community that loves open source and pays for support (if we think it worth it) but please act like serious companies.

Regards
Hector.

We (or at least I) are not complaining about DRBD its far better than CEPH at least for low requirement use cases (which you obviously dont want to support). We are complaining about :
1-Linbit's really inmature choice of leaving GPL and then resumin it. Not serius thing..
2-Proxmox's inmature attitude of not resuming DRBD integration as it did in previous years.(dont have a reason for not doing it)

We dont care if you guys dont like each other, we are a community that loves open source and pays for support (if we think it worth it) but please act like serious companies.

Regards
Hector.

I do not get your point. DRBD9 plugin if offered by linbit.com, why don´t you just use it?

Reactions: jeffwadsworth

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!