[SOLVED] quick vm storage question

marszel

Dec 7, 2016
Hey guys, student from the Netherlands here and working on a school project. I just installed proxmox under vmware on my desktop and assigned it 120 gigs storage. Now what im puzzled about is that proxmox created two types of storage; Local and Local-lvm. Proxmox assigned 20 gigs to the "local" and 70 gigs to the "local-lvm".
Obiviously 20gb won't do for storing VM's so I just put my ISO's here. However when I try to create a VM under local-lvm the buttons for template and upload are greyed out. What is this local-lvm and why cant I store vms here? where do I go from here? This might be a silly question but i'm new to both linux and promox.

Hope you guys can help me out,
cheers!

local: this is a file system, and you can upload iso files an templates here

local-lvm: this is a block storage, and you can use this for VM images.

Please note that you can store VMs on storage 'local-lvm', but you cannot store files there.

local: this is a file system, and you can upload iso files an templates here

local-lvm: this is a block storage, and you can use this for VM images.

Please note that you can store VMs on storage 'local-lvm', but you cannot store files there.

Thankyou for responding. However, it won't let me create a VM under local-lvm.

Hi marszel,
Go to your storage definition (Datacenter->Storage) and select "Disk Image" as Content for your local-lvm. Then you can create a VM with local-lvm as storage backend.

Last edited:
Hi marszel,
Go to your storage definition (Datacenter->Storage) and select "Disk Image" as Content for your local-lvm. Than you can create a VM with local-lvm as storage backend.

thanks i will try this when i get home tonight. i'll let you how it went.

edit: got it working, thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!