Problem with LVM thin pool: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error

kristian.kirilov

Nov 17, 2016
Hello,

I'm trying to migrate my existing KVM images to Proxmox KVM virtual machine. I have to do that for my existing LXC containers. The storage i prefer to use is LVM thin pool, because this storage support live snapshot of all types of VM's - KVM or LXC based.

For the migration purpose i'm follow these steps:

1. I create new VM to the LVM thin pool - this creates new logical volume for me.
2. I use dd command to copy the data from my existing VM image to the newly created lvm volume.

The problem is very strange because i have success with first vm, but when i try to another i got the I/O error.
See some technical info here:

http://pastebin.com/wxLyk6iE

So when i'm in this situation i have to reboot the server, then use lvconvert --repair Root-VG/lvmthin, then use lvchange -a y Root-VG/lvmthin, and the logical volumes on the pool is also corrupted - data or metadata column is shown as 0. I have to use dd again to import the data's to the volumes.

Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks a lot, i have tuned my lvm.conf to use thinpool auto extend with 80% threshold, and 20% to extend the logical volume when it was full.
Now everything is working fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!