Change default mountpoint/volume name for LXC container on ZFS storage

onlime

Renowned Member
Aug 9, 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
www.onlime.ch
I have setup a ZFS local storage on latest ProxmoxVE 4.2 with the following options:

• ID: zfs-containers
  • ZFS Pool: rpool/ROOT
  • Content: Container
When creating a new LXC container via ProxmoxVE WebUI Create CT, it get's mounted and name as follows:

Code:
$ zfs list
NAME  USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool  13.0G  436G  144K  /rpool
rpool/ROOT  5.41G  436G  112K  /rpool/ROOT
rpool/ROOT/pve-1  2.76G  436G  2.76G  /
rpool/ROOT/subvol-184-disk-1  482M  19.5G  482M  /rpool/ROOT/subvol-184-disk-1
rpool/swap  7.44G  444G  180K  -

I would like to change default ZFS volume name to pve-CTID instead of subvol-CTID-disk-1 and mountpoint to /var/lib/vz/private/CTID instead of /rpool/ROOT/subvol-CTID-disk-1, resulting in:

Code:
rpool/ROOT/pve-184  482M  19.5G  482M  /var/lib/vz/private/184

Can this be done in some global configuration? Where is the naming scheme defined?

Can this be done in some global configuration? Where is the naming scheme defined?

I guess we hardcoded that naming scheme a several places, so it would be hard to change that. We also use disk names to encode some informations, so we cannot allow arbitrary name changes.

For the mountpoint problem, your should look at the mountpoint property for the parent pool. I don't know if it works fine with the proxmox ve logic as @dietmar described, but it works in "ordinary" ZFS.

Also, don't use ROOT als your mounted ZFS pool, create a new one e.g.
Code:
zfs create rpool/container
and use that one. The ROOT is normally used for different root-devices and is a kind of a special place.

Thanks @dietmar and @LnxBil for your great support. I will then stick with the hardcoded naming scheme.
Finally, I also found the right spot in the documentation:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_ZFS#Using_ZFS_Storage_Plugin_.28via_Proxmox_VE_GUI_or_shell.29

I followed this recommendation (hopefully this is best practice), creating the ZFS pool and storage:

Code:
$ zfs create rpool/zfsdisks
$ add zfspool zfsvols -pool rpool/zfsdisks -content images,rootdir -sparse

Final result:

Code:
$ zfs list
NAME  USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool  13.0G  436G  144K  /rpool
rpool/ROOT  4.89G  436G  112K  /rpool/ROOT
rpool/ROOT/pve-1  2.76G  436G  2.76G  /
rpool/swap  7.44G  444G  180K  -
rpool/zfsdisks  560M  436G  96K  /rpool/zfsdisks
rpool/zfsdisks/subvol-184-disk-1  560M  436G  529M  /rpool/zfsdisks/subvol-184-disk-1

Wouldn't it make sense to mount the CT e.g. at /var/lib/lxc/subvol-184-disk-1 (next to /var/lib/lxc/184/rootfs)? - I am just used to the old OpenVZ way in ProxmoxVE 3.4. I'd like to make sure to follow your recommendations / best practice before migrating all containers to LXC.

"/var/lib/lxc" is where lxc expects its files/paths, so we only put stuff there that is expected (config file + container root mount point)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!