extreme low power proxmox node.

I tried the PC Engines APU (we have two of them running inside our Proxmox VE cluster):

http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm

Which has even lower power consumption 6-12 W APU vs. 15W für the up-board. The APU has also "real" SSD-Support via mSATA and 2 mPCIe connectors, multiple GBit NICs. The new APU2 has also quad-core and still same power consumption.

Okay.
https://shop.tronico.net/Embedded-Computer/PC-Engines/APU-Mainboards/APU-2C4-system-board.html
The newer one, with the quadcore apu gx-412 is in the same area as the x5 performance wise, it could be a good contestant. :)
thanks.

I have to say i just found the up board, and find it quite interesting since i have already 1u rackmount for 2 pi's and the board being the same form factor would be total win. This is only for a homelab, So big workloads will not be a problem, about the wattage, the 15 watt you mention is that based on the maximum supplied current by the 5volt x 3 amp ? :)

Last edited:
Okay.
https://shop.tronico.net/Embedded-Computer/PC-Engines/APU-Mainboards/APU-2C4-system-board.html
The newer one, with the quadcore apu gx-412 is in the same area as the x5 performance wise, it could be a good contestant. :)
thanks.

I have to say i just found the up board, and find it quite interesting since i have already 1u rackmount for 2 pi's and the board being the same form factor would be total win. This is only for a homelab, So big workloads will not be a problem, about the wattage, the 15 watt you mention is that based on the maximum supplied current by the 5volt x 3 amp ? :)

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, there is no further information about watt usage, which would be good.

I really like the APU. I'd strongly suggest to buy one. We bought from Tronico, can recommend that as well.

You could try AMD AM1 platform. I have installed it yesterday and it's working ok for now. Need to find my wattmeter to find out about consumption.

I've just tested my node. Amd 5370,8gbRam,2x500gb Raid0 max 35w, average around 25w for the whole machine.Pretty nice.

Get rid of the disks and replace them with SSDs. Why do you use RAID0?

My two-node APU Proxmox VE 3.4 cluster with DRBD shared storage and 128 GB SSD each uses combined 14W in idle mode.

I used the disks at had at disposal :D
Why are you using drbd and not gluster? To me gluster looks like a better solution.

For the time being i run zfs as a raid 0 with 2 ssd on both nodes, with this setup i dont have a shared storage, i have to offline migrate the hosts, but for at home setup this is okay for now, since most of the workloads are containers with small storage footprint, it don't take so long to do the task. i really like zfs because of the snapshots and it is extremely easy to mange from cli,

is that possible with any of the shared storage options on only 2 nodes. I know it is possible with 3+ nodes setup on ceph, but the speeds on ceph is slow when using a small number of nodes, i like the idea of the storage being shared, But is that even worth it, performance / reliability wise?

In my understanding Ceph, GlusterFS and DRBD wil set the "pool" in a non working state when one of the 2 nodes goes offline?
to be a viable solution for me the storage has to remain online if one of the nodes goes down etc.

Last edited:
My two apu's are part of a big cluster, so there is always quorum. If one node fails, the VMs got started directly on the other nodes. DRBD is is reasonable fast on the SSDs. The machines are not close as powerful as a "real" server, but they're sufficient. We run our firewall and secondary dns, dhcp and ldap server on the nodes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!